Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Glee tanking at the box office, to the Game pranking the police, to a group of thieves at Lollapalooza who bit off more than they could chew, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* There is no joy in Glee-ville. The TV sensation proved to be a complete dud at the box office, pulling in a measly $5.7 million in its opening weekend, which wasn’t even good enough to crack the top ten. It should really comes as no surprise that people aren’t willing to pay a $10 cover to see a movie where marginally good singers perform karaoke versions of current hit songs. On free TV it works, at least for now, but unless you’re too young to get into a concert, that $10 can go to see a real artist performing live.
* Hilary Duff has announced she’s pregnant with her first child with her husband of one year, Pittsburgh Penguins center Mike Comrie. The baby is already projected to be in the Penguins lineup before Sidney Crosby is ready to return.
* Have you ever wished people could get arrested for being an idiot? If so, this story is for you. Last week The Game tweeted out a phone number telling fans to call it if they wanted an internship. The only problem was it was a prank and the phone number was to the Compton sheriff’s office’s emergency phone line. The post was eventually taken down, but not until after it jammed phone lines and caused increased response times for emergencies. Later tweets from The Game included such gems as “Yall can track a tweet down but cant solve murders! Dat was an accident but maybe now yall can actually do yall job!!!!” The Game, who may face jail time because of the original tweet, now claims it was a friend of his who was using his phone who posted the phone number. Stupidly, he added “Casey Anthony can get away with murder and the Game goes to jail for tweeting. God bless America.” Maybe he doesn’t realize how many people may have been hurt, or even died, due to his, or his friend’s, prank.
* While his former associate was pranking the police, 50 Cent was busy signing another act, making DJ Pauly D, of Jersey Shore fame, the latest artist to be inked to G-Unit Records. The DJ who loves the ladies who are DTF has reportedly signed a three album deal that will also include the release of his own line of headphones (hey, 50, this man better get his own line of hair gel, too!). Personally, I feel ALL the artists on G-Unit should do a little reality TV to up their notoriety. First up, Spider Loc on Cupcake Wars, then Lloyd Banks on Design on a Dime.
* In truly terrifying news, a gust of wind caused a stage to collapse at a Sugarland concert in Indiana this past Saturday and five have been reported dead from the incident. Forty five people in total were taken to the hospital and more fatalities are possible. The video footage is pretty scary, but if you want to see what happened click here.
* Coldplay has announced they’ll be releasing their fifth studio album at the end of October. The album will be titled Mylo Xyloto and Chris Martin told Billboard that it doesn’t fit into any musical kind of box. Really, Chris? I can think of two it’s going to fit into - boring and pretentious.
* “Portugal. The Man” is a band. They’re a band that played Lollapalooza. They’re a band that played Lollapalooza only to find a healthy amount (97 pieces) of their equipment stolen only hours after their performance. Thankfully for “Portugal. The Man,” the man was on the case, as the Chicago police recovered some of the equipment, which was found in a local house because the thieves realized they couldn’t sell any of it due to the media coverage the theft was receiving. So basically, the thieves just spent a lot of time and energy cluttering up their house. I bet their moms were pissed.
* Finally, by now everyone is well aware that Warrant lead singer Jani Lane passed away last week. Although no official cause of death has been announced, Lane’s sister placed the blame on alcohol. Jani had fought with the bottle for a number of years. If you recall, it’s what caused him to have such a hard time when he was on Celebrity Fit Club. Lane was only 47, but leaves us with an anthemic song that will be played in strip clubs until the end of time.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.