Artist Of The Week - Mystere Jones


Mystere Jones has a theory about how his music should be; “we grow as people everyday, so I show that growth in my music with every project I do.” This is why while he says his album True Playa is “grown folks music with a little street element,” his next project, No Identity, will reveal more about himself, and the album he’s currently working on, Love Jones, “explores a more mature me.” Music isn’t the only way Mystere Jones expresses himself, though. Also an actor, he recently completed shooting his first two films, Hood Boogas, and The Trouble with Cali, the latter produced by Paul Sorvino. This week I caught up with Mystere Jones to find out more about his music, his movies, and is he has any mysteries that lay beneath the surface.

Adam Bernard: Why don’t you start everyone off by revealing a few of Mystere’s mysteries? Who is Mystere Jones? Where are you from, and what should people know about you?
Mystere Jones: Good question. I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. I have a mixtape coming out called No Identity which hopefully will give people an idea of who I am, and what kind of artist I am. I'm also a producer, writer, and actor. I'm from Flatbush, Brooklyn. My background is Jamaican. I'm a down to earth dude. I love people, exploring new territories, and embracing all cultures, that's why I'm called “The International Man of Mystery.” I get my Tupac on... I get around!

Adam Bernard: Is there any special reason you spell your name the way you do?
Mystere Jones: My name actually comes from my government name. My initial starts with an E and my last name is Jones, so Mister E. Jones translates into Mystere Jones with my twist on it.

Adam Bernard:You recently released a video that’s an ode to the old school. What about the old school do you wish was still a part of the hip-hop scene of today?
Mystere Jones: Man, when you talk about the old school you’re talking about history. I remember back in the day when KRS-One said “rap ain't even 20 years old” Now it’s over 30 years old! I grew up listening to these classic records. Starting out as a DJ I used to cut and scratch these records, find the dude in my hood that had the illest flow, and began making my own sound. One thing you will find from me as an artist and producer is that I'm gonna continue to reach back and dig in the crates and incorporate the old school with the new school. I want the up coming generation of beat creators, emcees and DJs to know where this all came from. We need to bring that positive energy, that feel good music, back to hip-hop! We need to have fun again with the music. Even the battles were fun back then. No one got hurt at the end of it all. Even if they shot up the block party, which happened from time to time in my hood, they shot in the air, people ran, the music came back on, and we acted like it never happened! {laughs}

Adam Bernard: Flipping things, what elements of the current scene are you glad are here now?
Mystere Jones: One thing that I am glad for is the musical aspect of hip-hop. It’s no longer beats and rhymes and samples. I started out as a “sample” producer, then in the later 90s when it became more musical I teamed up with cats that could really play like my homey Delite from Ghetto Pop, and my dude D Sorce that I currently work with. It even forced me to pick up the keyboard and begin to play. I'm also an R&B fan, so I love to hear the blend, like the kind of stuff Drake is doing. My team, Noe Doe Network, has been doing this kind of music since the late 90s.

Adam Bernard: Now that you’ve told everyone about your sound, what else should people expect when they put on a Mystere Jones song?
Mystere Jones: When you put on a Mystere Jones song be prepared to hear nothing but the real, whatever the topic is. I rap about what I know and what I see, not what I want be, or wish I was. I don't talk about drugs cuz I don't sell drugs. You will hear about real life experiences in my songs. If I talk about it, I lived it! You will also most likely hear something that all ages can listen to and relate to. My music is universal!    

Adam Bernard: In addition to your music you’re also working on an acting career. What have been some of your most interesting on-set moments so far?
Mystere Jones: One of my most interesting moments on set was working with Paul Sorvino! Good Fellas is one of my favorite movies, so to be in the same room with him was an honor. My lines were all improv. Paul said “we’re gonna do this with no script.” He gave the scenario, said exactly what he was looking for, and I had to deliver right on the spot. It was cool cuz I was able to pull it off. Paul is good guy and his daughter Amanda (who wrote the movie) is real cool, too. We remain good friends.

Adam Bernard: Who have you learned the most from, both in music and acting, and what were the lessons they taught you?
Mystere Jones: Acting-wise, Paul Sorvino gave me my first crash course acting lesson on set by telling me what to do, and while doing that movie we were already in production with Hood Boogas so it helped to get thru some of the kinks of doing things on the fly. In music I have learned so much from many different people. I have studied this biz like how a kid studies in school. I’ve learned that you must know the business. I’ve learned how to take control of my own biz and the value of music publishing. I’ve learned not to be afraid to reach out to people, and not to be afraid to fail. I’ve learned that there is a big world out there and to not just make music for my hood, or for the people around you that thinks everything you do is dope. This is why now I make music that everyone can relate to, music that will reach the masses.

Adam Bernard: Finally, how many mysteries are left about Mystere Jones, and will they ever all be revealed?
Mystere Jones: I wouldn't be Mystere Jones if I told you everything {laughs}. Like I said, I'm still on a quest to find out who I am. I know what I'm capable of, but I'm still a work in progress. And for the things that people don't know, maybe one of these days I'll write a book and break down the mystery of Mystere Jones.

Related Links

Twitter: twitter.com/mysterejones
Facebook: facebook.com/mystere.jones
MySpace: myspace.com/mysterejonesofficial
YouTube: youtube.com/mysterejones

Comments

Popular Posts