Artist Of The Week - Warren Britt


Think a big man can’t have a high energy show? Then you definitely need to see Warren Britt perform. The Brooklyn emcee is the highest energy guy in most places even when he’s just in the crowd. I finally had the pleasure of seeing him hit the stage last month and lemme tell you, I think I was more exhausted than he was after his set! If you haven’t been lucky enough to catch him live, he has an EP out, @ The Meth::Lab, and he's working on a side project called Absolute Truth. This week I downed a case of Red Bulls to catch up with Warren Britt, and he filled me in on where his unbelievable energy comes from. Britt also revealed what some of his earliest influences were, and in what ways he feels he’s one part Michael Phelps and one part Patrick Ewing in his prime.

Adam Bernard: Hit me with some background info. What were some of your earliest influences growing up and what have you experienced during your time on the come up in NYC’s hip-hop scene?
Warren Britt: We're definitely gonna start off with LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out". I remember sitting in my grandmother's living room with my older cousin and his friends and that video came on and I just remember the energy of that song; "I'M GONNA KNOCK YOU OUT! MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU!" I’m pretty sure that chorus helped shape my life. 2Pac's "Keep Ya Head Up" is a major reason why I picked up the pen, and Busta Rhymes’ The Coming was my very first musical selection in '96. I loved that record. As far as my musical experience in the underground scene, it's been a huge beautiful ugly, kind of reminiscent of high school at times, but without the awkwardness, the lunch tables to bang on, and the gang members bangin' on. I mean, you see the same people every day. Go home, work on some new material. The next day you hand in your “homework” to spectators consisting of familiar faces and strangers, and they check it to make sure you at least get a 65% and aren't failing {laughs}. More or less everyone I've encountered on the scene has been positive, supportive, and overall dope. Everybody is goal oriented, dedicated, and passionate about their music and it's re-instilled my hope and faith in hip-hop music as a whole. I'm proud to be a part of this.

Adam Bernard: You have A LOT of energy on stage. Where does all that energy come from, and what’s the longest set you think you can do before passing out?
Warren Britt: You know what? The energy. That's all me, man. My emotions. I get a feeling in my bones and I just feel that thump in my heart that makes me get loose. I try to take the moment and capture it and have fun. I'm not sure what I look like, but I don't care. I read Chuck D's autobiography and in it he said they used to perform with all these bands and they would be so loud. He said that he never wanted to be outdone live by anyone, so from that point on he took to the stage and made sure people saw and heard what he had to say. I'll also share a bit of a secret with you; sometimes before shows I listen to a few of my favorite bands to draw inspiration. I’ll watch live performance DVDs of The Used, Paramore, Set Your Goals, or Motion City Soundtrack, just to see how to really work the stage. It works. The longest set I've had was 20 minutes at Hip-Hop Evolution in September. I was ready to pass out halfway through the second joint {laughs}, but I made it through and ended my set on the bar of the venue. It was totally random, but I had a GREAT Time!

Adam Bernard: What creatures, living or mythical, do you think can keep pace with you?
Warren Britt: Michael Phelps' lungs, without question, and I think Patrick Ewing's legs in the '94-'95 season could've possibly kept pace with me. If only he could've made that lay up! Damn! That still hurts to watch and I'm not even a Knicks fan.

Adam Bernard: Aside from your incredible energy, what do you think separates yourself from the pack and makes Warren Britt a unique artist?
Warren Britt: I'm an artist who really does support artists. I'm paying attention, and if I like it that much, I buy it. (Former Artist Of The Week) Creature told me that I'm different because I actually take the time to hit up other people’s shows besides my own. I'm a dedicated fan of the music and the artists that do this. If I can make it to your show I will, especially if I really dig your material. You learn a lot that way. I also think I operate a little more with production as opposed to just rappity rapping on tracks. I hear certain things in musical composition that I try to weave in vocally and lyrically. It could be the pattern of a drum, and I'll wrap myself into a drum kick sandwich and take shape and form in the rhythm. I love and appreciate each and every crevice of the sound if I feel it.

Adam Bernard: What are some of the things other than hip-hop that get you motivated?
Warren Britt: My family. I've become the worst when it comes to contact these days, but I truly do love my family. My mom is the driving force when I write. One of the main reasons I try to leave cursing out of my recordings - keyword “try" - is that even though she's not my target audience, I'd like to make material that I believe she'd understand and love, as well. My friends also motivate me. Women. Live shows. Music is my oxygen.

Adam Bernard: Finally, if you could collab with any three artists in the world, who would they be and why?
Warren Britt: 1) 88-Keys. I respected his work with Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and Evidence, among other projects, but that Death Of Adam concept was genius. 2) Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes. I’ve thought that kid was pretty dope since The Papercut Chronicles days. Vastly underrated in my opinion. I'd like to witness his process of creating music and see exactly what makes his mind tick. 3) Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy. I loved that "Little Weapon" joint he produced off of Lupe Fiasco's The Cool and his production work on the last Gym Class Heroes album. Production wise that kid is on the come up something terrible.

Related Links

MySpace: myspace.com/warrenbritt
Twitter: twitter.com/warrenbritt
YouTube: youtube.com/warrentertainment
Xanga: xanga.com/warrentertainment

Comments

feleciacruz said…
Hell yeah!!! WE LOVE WARREN BRITT!!!!!
Unknown said…
BROOOKLLYYYNNNN!
Keep bringin' that raw energy Warren!
TastyKeish said…
That Warren, is quite a lovely young man.
YC The Cynic said…
Warren Britt is one of my favorite performers. Warren Britt is one of my favorite people. You get the point...he's dope.
The MC Faceman said…
go Warren, go Warren!
Rashid Amir said…
Yo Warren is not only one of the most hype emcees out, but he's also the most humble I ever met.
J57 said…
good shit!

Popular Posts