About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)

w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)

w/ Millionaires ('12)

w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)

w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Artist Of The Week - Stacye Branché
Monday, November 30, 2009

When I decided I wanted to feature Stacye Branché as an Artist Of The Week it was because I’d heard her latest album, The Evolution To Living In Truth, and thought she was a talented singer. After sitting down with her I found out she’s also one very well connected lady. How else would one describe someone who’s collaborated with an artist based on a recommendation by Dr. Dre? And that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Branché. During our interview I also learned about her music, her history, and her unique connection with DJ Khalil.

Adam Bernard: Start me off with some background info.  Tell me about where you're from and what some of the bigger musical moments of your life were growing up.
Stacye Branché: I grew up in Los Angeles and studied classical music at Palisades High School. I actually considered becoming an opera singer, but as luck would have it I landed a record deal right out of high school, so my life went in a direction far away from opera. My record deal didn’t go as well as I would have liked it to, though, so I sat out the remainder of my seven year contract.  By the time the deal was over I couldn’t seem to get another one, so I set out to try and put out my music on my own.  With technology on my side I was able to put out my CD I Believe in 2000, For The Man I Love in 2004, and now The Evolution To Living In Truth.

Adam Bernard: When I listen to your work I think of you as a jazz singer.  1) Do you feel that's a fair assessment? Feel free to tell me I'm crazy if you think so. And 2) what do you consider some of the finer points of your style?  i.e. What makes a song a Stacye Branché song?
Stacye Branché: I could see how you would think of me as a jazz singer.  I grew up listening to Barbara Streisand, Dinah Washington, and other great vocalists, so I have no doubt that has had a great deal of influence over me and how I sing. I would say that my the finer points of my style are that I have been blessed with an incredible range and that my musical exposure gives me the ability to cross genres.  I would like to hope that what makes a song a Stacye Branché song is the interpretation I bring to it.

Adam Bernard: Talk to me about The Evolution to Living in Truth.  How'd you come up with that title and what does it represent to you?
Stacye Branché: Wow, the title The Evolution To Living In Truth was, and is, where I am in my life.  I think that everyone, at some point, reaches the place where they really know themselves; who they are and what they stand for. I think we each evolve to that point.  This album, as well as my new inspirational book, It’s All In How You Look At It, are a look at my journey to finding my truth as a woman, as well as an artist, writer, and producer.

Adam Bernard: On the album you have a song titled "I Was Thinkin’ Maybe" which features production by DJ Khalil.  Most wouldn't think of him for an R&B track.  How did you link up with him?
Stacye Branché: Well, here is an unknown fact about DJ Khalil - he is my brother. Although we share music with each other the thought to work together actually came at the suggestion of Dr. Dre, who asked plainly to me one day, “Why don’t you do a track with your brother?”  Because Khalil and I do different types of music I don’t think we’d ever really thought about working together. I called Khalil up and he said, “You know, I have this track that I’ve been wanting a singer to do.” I heard the track and the rest is history. I am very proud of "I Was Thinkin’ Maybe," and hopefully we will have the opportunity to do another song together. Being a producer for Aftermath Records and working with his group The New Royales, Khalil stays very busy these days.

Adam Bernard: If Dr. Dre is suggesting people for you to work with you are clearly one connected lady. Are there any other collaborations you see in your immediate future? Do you have a wish list?
Stacye Branché: At the moment there are no collaborations planned, but I think every artist has a wish list and I am no exception.  I would love to work with Stevie Wonder, Rashaan Patterson, Donnell Jones, and of course I want another chance to work with DJ Khalil.

Adam Bernard: Moving from the recording studio to the stage; do you have any embarrassing on-stage moments that you're willing to share, or have you been embarrassment free so far?
Stacye Branché: I hate to admit it, but I have forgotten the words to a song while on stage. I faked it and I don’t think the audience could tell, but it has never stopped bothering me.  

Adam Bernard: Ouch! Well, at least no one could tell! Moving to something more positive, where is the most interesting place your music has taken you?
Stacye Branché: I would say the most interesting places that my music has taken me would be the movies. I am honored when someone thinks my music helps them to tell their story, like in the films The Brothers and Biker Boys.  

Adam Bernard: Finally, create your own tabloid headline.  Stacye Branché was found at {BLANK} with {BLANK} doing {BLANK}.  Make it juicy because this is the internet and everyone knows if something is on the internet it has to be true.
Stacye Branché: I am not good with scandal but here is what I would like to see in the press - “Stacye Branché was found at the Grammys with DJ Khalil on stage accepting an award.” It’s not juicy, but it is what I would like to be reading about.

Related Links

Website: stacyebranche.com
MySpace: myspace.com/stacyebranche
Facebook: facebook.com/pages/Stacye-Branche


posted by Adam Bernard @ 7:10 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them

Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout

What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of


Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts