Artist Of The Week - VERSE*ALL


Sometimes an artist is associated with so many people I know I just have to find out more. VERSE*ALL is one of those artists. We seem to roll in the same circles. He’s worked with a number of former Artists Of The Week, including Rabbi Darkside and Core Rhythm. We just hadn’t linked up for anything… until now. VERSE*ALL is bit of a jack of all trades in Hip-Hop, but unlike the old saying, “jack of all trades, master of none,” VERSE*ALL has managed to master quite a few, including production and emceeing. This week I caught up with VERSE*ALL to find out more about his path in Hip-Hop, the differences between the two scenes he’s spent the most time in (NYC and DC), and some of the more memorable moments he’s had in his career so far.

Adam Bernard: Let's start with some personal history. Give me the basics on who you are, what you do, and why you do what you do.
VERSE*ALL: Well, to start things off, my name is VERSE*ALL. I am a producer/emcee/model/podcast host of Master Builder Radio. I produce because I love sound and what you can do with it. I emcee because I want to sell my product to other emcees. In other words, my production is what I focus on most, and when I rhyme over a track it's just as a basic instruction to what type of style should go on top of it.

Adam Bernard: What was your path to the world of music production?
VERSE*ALL: My oldest brother and my cousin used to be into rap heavily in the beginning stages, the core stage of the birth of Hip-Hop. When they would go to the street jams back then my mother would tell them that I had to tag along with them. Also, growing up in my house, my pops would play all sorts of music from Friday to Friday, so I guess somewhere in my journey I developed an ear to create tracks.

Adam Bernard: How would you describe your style to someone who'd never heard you before?
VERSE*ALL: People often compare me to any member of the Wu-Tang Clan. Yep, the entire Clan. {laughs} I usually tell people, when they ask who I sound like, that I sound like no one but myself. Describing the music, I would say it’s soulful and inspiring.

Adam Bernard: After living in various spots up and down the East Coast, tell me how some of the scenes you've been in differ and what your favorite aspects of each scene have been.
VERSE*ALL: I was heavy in the DC scene for approximately ten years. Although I am a Bronx, NY native, I moved to the DMV (DC, MD, VA) Metro area. DC's Hip-Hop scene is small compared to NYC's. Everybody knows one another in DC and the love and appreciation for each other is way different out there. What I like about New York’s scene is that it never stops. The hustle in NY is for real!

Adam Bernard: Speaking of hustle. Talk to me about the albums you’ve released and where can people hear your work.
VERSE*ALL: I have released three CDs, two of which were with a DC based Hip-Hop group called Culture Cypha. The CDs with Culture Cypha are entitled Aztect Planet and Translation. My first solo CD is entitled UNI.VERSE*ALL Language and I am currently getting ready to release beautiful NOISE plus VERSE(TRUE)MENTALS vol: 1ne the Master Builder. I will be re-releasing UNI.VERSE*ALL Language digitally, most likely before my beautiful NOISE CD. The Culture Cypha music is free for download at my website.

Adam Bernard: What do you hope people get out of your music?
VERSE*ALL: I have been told by many people, fans, friends, and fellow Hip-Hoppers that I am an inspiration to them and that makes me feel good because I was able to touch somebody through my words and the passion of my production.

Adam Bernard: You've worked with a lot of great artists, including Rabbi Darkside, C-Rayz Walz, Core Rhythm and Multiple Man. Out of your long list of collaborative experiences, what have been some of your most memorable?
VERSE*ALL: The most memorable collaborative experience has to be when I was working with Multiple Man on his second CD entitled The Multiplexxx. I had no idea that of all the tracks that I gave him 17 would make it onto the CD, which ended up having a total of 22 tracks. Even the intro was produced by me. Another fresh collaborative moment was recording my new CD and having Core Rhythm working the boards!

Adam Bernard: Finally, you have a really dope name. I don't usually see a lot of asterisks in people's monikers. How did you become VERSE*ALL and what does it mean?
VERSE*ALL: I was playing around with a lot of names, but VERSE*ALL was the one that stuck. I was a battle emcee way back when so it was Me vs. All and anybody, but to sum up the entire meaning, Verse does it All. In other words I produce, rap, manage myself, promote, do graphics, encourage, educate, collect, etc., if that answers your question. {laughs}

Related Links

Website: verseall.com
MySpace: myspace.com/allverse

Comments

Homeboy Sandman said…
verse all is all verse, and, the people's champ.
cocobrownface said…
The interview with Verse*All was phenomenal. He is so well spoken and I've been a witness to how beautiful he is inside and out. As Verse*All climb the underground to the top, the main steam is impatiently waiting for his contribution to the Hip Hop movement and they don’t even know it. Verse*All will be to main stream as iron is to an anemic patient. The rest of the Hip Hop community don't know that they’re deficient until they get the Verse*All check-up. If I had my way, I’d create a clothing line just to have him be the face of the product. I'd pay him big bucks to have him modeling and rapping for me all day.

Cocobrownface

Popular Posts