About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)


w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)


w/ Millionaires ('12)


w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)


w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Turning Thirty in Hip-Hop
Wednesday, October 15, 2008

How long can/should I keep this up?

For those who may not know, today is my birthday. It’s not just any birthday, though, it’s the big three-oh. That’s right, your boy Adam B (pictured above in-between Sav Killz and Conscious) is thirty. I think there’s an aura about being thirty that makes people think that one must have some kind of higher level of maturity (i.e. you're all done having fun), but with my Facebook status set at “Adam Bernard is showing you his Three-Oh face,” perhaps I'm not a shining example of that idea. Societal notions of maturity aside, this birthday involves a much bigger issue for me – how to deal with being thirty and working in Hip-Hop.

I always figured when I hit thirty I’d have to stop writing about Hip-Hop. I mean, let’s face it, the vast majority of thirty-somethings aren’t exactly on the cutting edge of much of anything. That being said, in a bit of irony, and living proof that hindsight is 20/20, now that I’m hitting thirty I seem to finally be getting the recognition within the game that I’ve been working so hard to earn. I now have the title of Urban Culture Editor at an international magazine (Beyond Race) and I just became the Urban Music / Nightlife writer at the Fairfield County Weekly (which is our area’s version of the Village Voice / LA Weekly). Writing for the Weekly is a goal I had almost given up on after so many years of closed doors, but my first article for them hits newsstands tomorrow!

With both of these gigs, and the continued growth of Adam’s World and my work with RapReviews, I see myself having an even greater opportunity to make a difference in Hip-Hop. I’m finally able to get the independent artists I’ve been talking, and writing, about for so many years some bigger press and more notoriety. So while I was in my early twenties I may have naively thought that thirty spelled the end of the road for my work in Hip-Hop, in actuality it represents the beginning of having a little more power and responsibility in the game.

Yes, I will be working on a few other career goals now that I’m thirty. As many of you know I’ve spoken at numerous college and high school journalism and media relations classes and I really enjoy being in front of a classroom. I have little doubt that eventually I will make the leap into the world of teaching at a collegiate level. In fact, I’m already exploring such options. I realize it would take a little bit of work on my part, especially since I’d have to get a Master’s degree if I ever wanted to do it full time, but the reward would be well worth it.

Of course, even if I find a way to teach full time I’ll still be writing full time, as well, and maybe I’d have one of those things… what do you call them again? Oh yeah, a girlfriend. The one thing I don’t foresee happening, though, is me stopping my involvement in the Hip-Hop community. I know that for a lot of the underground’s finest I’ve been one of their only voices, if not their only voice, in the media for a lot of years and I don’t want to abandon that post anytime soon. With most magazines, and heck, I’ll say it, with most writers either ignoring, or choosing not to explore, the underground scene I know exactly where my place is in the game.

So yes, I will continue to build on my life’s resume and do things I’ve never done before, but at the same time, to quote Jay-Z, which all of you know pains me to do, “I can’t leave rap alone, the game needs me.” Once I see that either the game no longer needs me, or that it has passed me by, that is when I will finally stop. Something tells me that won’t be for quite a while, though, so I hope you still like seeing my byline (and that you didn’t mind that moment of self-congratulatory praise. Hey, it’s my birthday!).

Labels:

posted by Adam Bernard @ 7:37 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Clyde said…

    Happy Birthday!

    And, yeah, the game does need you.

    Clyde

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Adam Bernard said…

    Thanks, man.

    I'll be in it as long as it makes sense for me to be there.

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Red said…

    Happy 30th birthday, Adam. Hip hop may be experiencing a recession like the current economic blowout, but with your reporting expertise and knowledge in the hip hop scene, we'll always have a thermometer to make sure the game stays fit and healthy. And diverse.

     
  • At 2:20 AM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said…

    Happy Birthday Brother! Keep doing your thing man. Peace.

    Humanity F Critic

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Adam Bernard said…

    Thank you both!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Chilly S said…

    Adam, happy b-day.

    dude, I'm 38 - soon to be 39 and everyone tells me that ChillyS.tv is very cutting edge.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Mongo Slade said…

    Happy Belated man...damn I'm real late on this one...Sorry about that homie!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Follow

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them


Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout


What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
AngryMarks
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
FreeHipHopNow
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
iHeartDilla
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
RapDirt
RapReviews
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of

BLOGGER

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts