Restoring My Faith In H.E.R.


Last Friday I wrote a post about all the things that I felt ruin rap albums. The next night I covered two events, the second of which was a Hip-Hop show that featured The Rising Sun Quest and Sketch Tha Cataclysm, both of whom are former Artists of the Week here at Adam’s World as well as shining examples of everything that’s great about Hip-Hop.

Walking into the Acoustic Café Saturday evening and hearing Quest freestyling gave me the warm feeling of being at home. There were no gangster allusions, no bragging about money or women, just dope Hip-Hop, some good friends, and a few brews. This was really all I needed to consider the evening a success. I played the back at first since he was in mid-set, but while I was ordering a beer he worked me showing up and being at the bar into his rhyme. That’s true freestyle skills, folks! You know it’s not written if it’s about an event that’s happening right in front of you. His set would have been dope even without the mention because his talent consistently shines through when he’s on stage, but for me it was a nice shout out and it reminded me that some of the artists I push hard for recognize the work I’m putting in for them and honestly that’s all I’m looking for when it comes to my people, just a simple “hey, you’re putting in work for us and we see that.” Now, obviously working my name into a freestyle is going above and beyond the call of duty, but I’m just pointing out that any form of recognition for work done is appreciated.

Sketch Tha Cataclysm hit the stage next and although he commented the he was under-prepared he still owned the stage like very few other artists I’ve seen. Simply put, Sketch is the man, and until folks like him, Quest, Vinnie Scullo and Dyalekt are on major labels moving major units I will continue to preach that the best Hip-Hip is unfairly hidden in the depths of the underground and not even in the underground most people know about, but the underground that you need to be in the right place at the right time to see. This is also why I always say if you’re sitting in your house or apartment on a Friday or Saturday night and see a $5 show is in the area, GO! You never know who you’ll see and there’s always a chance you’ll discover a talent you would have never heard of otherwise.

During Sketch’s set he performed “Free The Radio” and made a side note when introducing it saying all radio sucks “except The Adam B Experience.” Gotta love the free plug! Sketch is a true MC, no BS, just lyrics, flow and a want to spread some messages without beating people over the head with them. He’s the rare MC that can make you dance while rapping about a revolution, which is why the title of his album, Party Music 4 Pissed Off People, is so fitting. This is exactly what we need going into 2008 and beyond and any label brave enough to take a chance on recruiting an outspoken artist who actually has something to say would be wise to look in Sketch Tha Cataclysm’s direction.

While some folks feel “Hip-Hop is dead” and others feel the culture needs a savior of some kind, Saturday night’s show proved Hip-Hip is alive and well. It was all the “savior” any true fan could ask for. Part of me feels blessed and lucky to be able to drive around the block and see a fantastic Hip-Hop show like Saturday’s, but another part of me realizes everyone can do this in their own cities with their own local artists. It doesn’t even take very much effort.

Although some folks may have felt I was a bit harsh on Friday, if I could have dragged them to see Quest and Sketch on Saturday they would have known why. I refuse to settle for “that’s how it is” excuses when I know a stadium’s worth of artists who consistently prove otherwise. So in essence this entire post has been one big thank you to The Rising Sun Quest and Sketch Tha Cataclysm for reminding me of why I love Hip-Hop so much (and sincerest apologies to Expertiz for arriving too late to catch his set). Long live good music.

Related Links

Adam's World: How to Ruin Your Rap Album
Adam’s World: Artist of the Week – The Rising Sun Quest
Adam’s World: Artist of the Week – Sketch Tha Cataclysm
MySpace: The Rising Sun Quest
MySpace: Sketch Tha Cataclysm

Comments

BeBe said…
I must say that I do agree that Sketch Tha Cataclysm is one of the best lyrisist out there not only in the underground circuit but pretty much anywhere hip hop lives.He puts on an amazing show. He creates REAL music. He makes you want to listen to every last word of every rhyme just to see how the story unfolds. He keeps the crowd involved and on their feet.


Quest is also amazing at what he does. Whether it's a serious thought or something to make you laugh the lyrics are always smoothly put together.


Any true hip hop fan must appreciate artists like these two because they are far and few between.
Admin said…
Hey Bebe. When you gonna post something on that blog of yours?

Popular Posts