About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)


w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)


w/ Millionaires ('12)


w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)


w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Jessi Malay – R&B’s Newest Heartbreaker
Wednesday, January 24, 2007

At the ripe old age of 19 Glendale, California native Jessi Malay already has a resume most artists would love to call their own. She’s performed all around the world, including being a part of a pre-Olympic show in Australia in 2000, she was part of a girl group that was signed to Jive called No Secret, and now she’s set to release her solo debut on Warner Brothers this summer. This week I caught up with Jessi to talk about her music, as well as a certain video she stars in that’s been circulating around the net, and why Cassie may need to watch herself.

Adam Bernard: Before we get to everything else, tell the people why Jessi Malay is an artist people need to keep an ear out for?
Jessi Malay: Why? Because musically my stuff, just like a lot of the other girls that are out right now, it’s gonna want to make you dance, it’s gonna have club banger stuff, but it’s lyrically conceptually bolder. I talk about things like girls’ time of the month and how deal with it.

Adam Bernard: Well nothing makes me want to dance more than that.
Jessi Malay: (laughs) No, but that’s what I’m saying, you don’t even realize it, there’s a really good balance. I do it in a subtle, sexy, classy way, but I talk about real stuff.

Adam Bernard: Was there a specific moment in your life when you knew you had to be a singer?
Jessi Malay: There have been a couple different points. One was when I saw Janet Jackson’s “If” video. I was like I need to be that because she’s so sexy and sensual but so in control.

Adam Bernard: Yeah, that’s a crazy video, guys are coming down on hooks.
Jessi Malay: Yeah, exactly! That video inspired me so much. And I’ve just kind of always known because I’ve always been on stage from the time I was two and a half and it’s just comfortable for me, it’s where I feel the most alive, it’s where I feel the most comfortable. I just have that feeling of belonging when I’m on stage.

Adam Bernard: To with your music you're also gorgeous. What's your ethnic background?
Jessi Malay: Oh, thank you. I’m a big huge mutt. My mom is Pilipino and Spanish and my dad is white and you know what I don’t know exactly where from originally but he’s American. I guess if you wanted to date it way back he’s Russian and Czechoslovakian. And I’ve got a little Brazilian in there, too.

Adam Bernard: How big a role has your background in your life?
Jessi Malay: A huge role, and I love it. I love being so multiethnic because I never feel like I have to conform one way of being or one group, I kinda feel like I can belong everywhere, or I can relate to everybody on some level, and I love that about being so multiethnic. It’s played a big role because I’ve grown up with both sides equally.

Adam Bernard: Your family reunions must look like United Nations meetings.
Jessi Malay: They really do. Between the friends we invite and my family we literally have every race possible in this house. It’s awesome. I love it.

Adam Bernard: Recently you released a video, and I'm not talking about a music video, I'm talking about the Martha Stewart / Rachel Ray-esqe Jessi Malay bakes cookies video. After seeing this do you think more artists will go from working their ass and thighs to working some cakes and pies?
Jessi Malay: Oh my goodness! You saw that? (laughs) You know what, I hope so. I think more artists need to relax and just eat a cookie.

Adam Bernard: Why did you make that video and put it on the web?
Jessi Malay: I think it shows my personal side. It shows who I am in real life and not just as this super sexy controlling whatever, which I portray in my music. I’m a really normal girl in real life and I want people to see that.

Adam Bernard: I have a hard time believing you're chowing down on cookies in your spare time.
Jessi Malay: Well believe it. I have the worst sweet tooth I know of. It’s my Achilles heel. But I work out and I dance. And I’m learning the whole more protein and greens, no carbs and sugars, and incorporating it into my lifestyle.

Adam Bernard: So you can cook, you can sing and you're not exactly hard on the eyes. With you being a triple threat, what kind of triple threat are you looking for in a guy?
Jessi Malay: My number one criteria is just to be humble. I can’t stand cocky guys. There’s a difference between confidence and cockiness and confidence is the second requirement. There’s that fine line between confidence and cockiness and guys have a hard time falling in that line and when I find a guy like that I’m on it. And self-motivation, that’s the third thing.

Adam Bernard: You said when you find that, so has there been any luck finding that yet?
Jessi Malay: I’m dating.

Adam Bernard: How long into a relationship do you have to be before you're baking for your man?
Jessi Malay: Not too soon because that can scare off guys, too. Then they get too close and they can think you want something serious. Baking can kinda get serious.

Adam Bernard: So when it’s real real serious it’s baking time.
Jessi Malay: It’s baking time. Baking’s kinda like the year in. That’s like showing your domestic side and you don’t wanna do that unless you’re thinking that way.

Adam Bernard: Let’s talk personal style for a second. What kind of clothes are you rockin around the house versus what you wear when you go out?
Jessi Malay: During the day you’re going to always catch me in gym clothes because I’m either working out or dancing. Daytime wear is gym clothes. I love a lot of those spandex stretchy pants because they’re so comfortable and they look good. Night time I love dressing up, too. I don’t wear a lot of dresses when I go out because I think really short dresses can look sleazy sometimes to guys. So I love a really good pair of jeans with high heels. I like a lot of the stuff like that because then I can dance, too.

Adam Bernard: You’re in Show Biz and the tabloids are there. I want to know if you were to be wrongly connected with a guy in the tabloids who would you like it to be and why?
Jessi Malay: (laughs) I wouldn’t mind being with Justin Timberlake, especially after seeing him perform live earlier this month. I think he is pretty damned cute. I was in the fourth row, which was actually better than the first three rows because the first three rows were below stage level. I was right on stage level. I could touch him basically. Oh my goodness.

Adam Bernard: Finally, are you gonna kick Cassie’s ass in a steel cage match, or something?
Jessi Malay: OH! Nobody’s asked me that! I’ve avoided that question through all these interviews and you had to bring it up. I don’t want to say anything, but yes I am. Yes I am and that’s because I can perform.

For more Jessi Malay, including her debut single, “Gimme” (feat. Lil’ Scrappy), check out jessimalay.com.

Labels:

posted by Adam Bernard @ 8:06 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Follow

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them


Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout


What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
AngryMarks
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
FreeHipHopNow
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
iHeartDilla
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
RapDirt
RapReviews
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of

BLOGGER

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts