The Brighter Side Of Life


The other day I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about how uninspired I’ve been by the music world of late. He tried to convince me that some good things were on the horizon but on the real, I’m seriously uninterested in Jay-Z’s “comeback” (I mean really, how can you call it a comeback when you took less time off in-between albums than The Clipse?), CMJ, or 99% of the albums I’ve received in the past month. I went through all the press releases for the month today and didn’t find a single artist I wanted to interview. Well, Brooke Hogan was there, but the Hogan clan didn’t want her doing a ton of men’s mags (just the one, I guess), so I was S.O.L. on that one. But rather than bitch and whine about what I’m mad at I’m going to take a few minutes, and a few paragraphs, to talk about a few of the things that are making me happy. It’s like Thanksgiving, just a few weeks early and without all that awkward silence at the dinner table (oh please, like that’s just me!).

David Lee – Who the phunk is David Lee you ask? Well he’s the only player on the current Knicks roster on which I will consider bestowing the high honor of calling a true Knick. He’s a tough young player who rebounds, plays defense, and if push came to shove I think he’d be willing to get into a fight with just about anybody on the court. He reminds me of the Knick power forwards of yesteryear, like Oakley and Mason and the X-Man. You know, just a lot paler. So we didn’t exactly put away the Grizzlies the other night, but we did win it in triple overtime and David Lee continued to evolve as the future face of the team. I put up with our high priced talent, but the Knicks were always a team full of guys who were more concerned with kicking your ass than scoring points and that’s the way I like it.

The O.C. – Yes, I’m a full grown 28 year old man and I watch The O.C. OK, why did I just feel like I should have been standing up at a podium in some small room surround by a group of my peers saying that? Some folks may think something is seriously wrong with me, but The O.C. is one of the few shows I consider VCR-worthy TV (yes, I’m still using a VCR. Say something about it and I’ll smash your TiVo with an old Betamax). The writing is actually good, their use of music is fantastic, and hey, I interviewed someone who was on the show last season, so that gives me a pass right? I know in Hip-Hop we hear the term “Ghetto Pass” thrown around constantly, well my interview with Jeff Hephner from last year is my official “O.C. Pass,” because of it it’s OK for me to watch the show.

The New York Football Giants – I don’t want to jinx anything but we’re lookin good! The bye week treated us nicely and we’re running over everyone. I’m seriously looking forward to playing the Bears later this month and seeing what we’re really made of. Losing LaVar Arrington hurts, but in all honesty he’d been a bit of a bust so I’m not too concerned. And Mathias Kiwanuka looks like the truth at defensive end. Props to Ernie Accorsi for setting this team up for the next ten years with the likes of Kiwanuka, Osi Umenyiora, Brandon Jacobs and Eli Manning.

Fun Music – I have found myself scanning the radio dial in my car during my long five minute jaunts around town looking for one of two things, really bad 80’s rock and really good modern pop. Is there anything better on the radio right now than Panic At The Disco? And as much as I hate to admit it Akon’s “Smack That” is ridiculously addictive. Even as I’m typing this right now I can’t get it out of my head. This weekend I may even accidentally work it into a casual conversation. “Hey, would you like to go back to my place and just kick it like Tae Bo?” Dumbest line ever, but if you say you hate the song you’re lying.

Barney Stinson – I’m not sure anything will top Entourage ever when it comes to being my favorite half hour show, but if there’s a 1A to Entourage’s rock solid 1 it’s How I Met Your Mother and that is due in large part to Neil Patrick Harris’ character of Barney Stinson. Barney is the ultimate womanizer and says the kind of things we (we being men) wish we could say. When describing his apartment he said “this is not a place to leave a toothbrush, this is not a place to leave a contact lens case, this is just a place to leave.” Poetic and poignant. Almost makes me want to SUIT UP!

Stephen Colbert – Do I really need to explain this one? Stephen Colbert is a god. Nuff said!

Now, after that very unusual display of happiness, I will go back to waking up screaming thinking about Billy Wagner blowing game two and Carlos Beltran leaving the bat on his shoulder in game seven. I may not get a good night’s rest until October 2007.

Comments

Popular Posts