Artist Of The Week – Tah Phrum Duh Bush


If you’re involved in New York’s underground Hip-Hop scene at all you’ve probably bumped into Tah Phrum Duh Bush at some point in time, he’s been everywhere. I can remember one night where he performed at one show and then showed up at another to show support later that same night. That’s a pretty good example of the kind of person Tah is, but who is Tah the artist? Recently I sat down with him to find out just that.

Adam Bernard: A lot of the people who will read this have no idea who you are, so start off by telling everyone what makes you different from all the other MC’s out there.
Tah Phrum Duh Bush: Well a lot of cats talk about it but I really had sex with Yo Mama! Nah… I’m just kiddin! On the real, right now I don’t see a lot of cats with a genuine sense of humor in Hip-Hop. I bring the skills, but I also bring in my own brand of really dark humor, like the medicine clowns of yester year. Make people laugh and they will listen more closely. Comedians work pretty much the same way. A lot of people out here now are either too damn serious or they’re about “party and BS,” literally. My stage show reflects this theme. I bring a lot out to my live shows, lots of props and lots of shit for people to take home with them, too. Most cats now are too cool for school! They don’t bring stage props and stuff to their shows because they have to kick it with chicks and stuff afterwards and look like stars in the “VIP” area, or at the bar. I’m there to entertain. So before the show you will see me with a crate of stuff. I’m there to give you a show and you will be entertained! I also freestyle with the crowd, which is something that a lot of people don’t do much, and every show is different. The craziest of my shows is “Butt Naked Alien Groupies.” I hope the name says enough. I recently had a show called “A Night of Sex with Tah Phrum Duh Bush.” All the ladies came out in thigh highs. It was fantastic. There’s always a theme and the crowd usually follows suit.

Adam Bernard: So you both freestyle and create complete songs. Which aspect of rapping to you find more rewarding and why?
Tah Phrum Duh Bush: They both have their benefits. Freestyle is, to me anyway, a mental exercise. When you freestyle “off the top of the head” the skill of writing rhymes does not really come into play. Everything is spontaneous, drawing on your surroundings and current events as your canvas you paint a picture with words. Writing complete songs, however, is another animal completely. Structuring a song with, or without, a hook and designing a flow that is tight is another skill that needs to be nurtured. You have to keep the attention of the listener and keep your content relevant as well. I believe that an emcee should be able to do both to some extent. So after all of that I have to say that they are mutually rewarding. When you get “oos” and “aahs” from spectators in any aspect it’s dope!!!

Adam Bernard: You realesed an album last year, Sunshine or Pure Shade. Talk to me about it. Why did you choose a title with two completely divergent ideas?
Tah Phrum Duh Bush: Everything falls within the confines of extremes but everything leans towards one extreme or another. People are so “extreme,” is everyone drinking too much fuckin’ Moutain Dew? Dayum! Oh sorry… back on the topic… Some songs are at extremes, others are in-between. On this album I tend to lean people toward an extreme and slap em in the face with the opposite. Best example is “Thys Bytch” the very title leads one to believe I’m headed in a derogatory direction. But am I? I want people to listen, get mad, then listen again and understand that there is more to what you are hearing and seeing in your mind and the world around you. I actually kept the music simple on this album so that people would pay more attention to the lyrical content. I didn’t want people to be clouded by an overly dressed suit. Do we want the Sunshine to hide the Shade or vice versa?

Adam Bernard: The album has some deep stuff on it. Tell me what you hope listeners get out of your work.
Tah Phrum Duh Bush: I’m going out to help the listener to understand my plight, my quest for knowledge of self through introspection and observation of the world around us. In doing this I hope to challenge the listener to re-evaluate his or her own situation. I’d have to say that “Life and Death Dichotomy” is the end all beat all of deepness on the album. Over the years I have grown weary of religious fanatics telling me I’m going to hell and that I should be saved. I went to parochial school for 12 years. When you think about it, doesn’t parochial mean narrow or close-minded? I was thrown out of every religion class I can think of for asking one question… “Why?” I was told that I disrupted class by asking unanswerable questions. I don’t knock anyone’s beliefs but I don’t think I should be force-fed anyone else’s. What is life all about? Do we really control it? What happens when we die? Should I spend my entire life fearful of what will happen when I die? I spend a lot of time contemplating these concepts. This song leaves me with a lot to think about when I listen to it. Hopefully it will do the same for anyone listening with an open mind. Life and death hmm… kind of like Sunshine and Pure Shade. Where would one be without the other?

Adam Bernard: Finally, when all is said and done, when people say Tah Phrum Duh Bush what do you want them to think?
Tah Phrum Duh Bush: If they don’t have my CD and haven’t been to my shows I want them to think… “I need to get this cat’s CD and evaluate what he’s doing. He’s pretty interesting and pretty entertaining as well. I’ve got to see this live show that everyone is talking about!” If they do have my CD and have been to my shows I want them to think… “This kid is on point. I can’t wait to see where he goes next with this. His CD is something that I had to listen to a few times to really get the full meat and potato of it. There are some real gems on there. When is the next CD coming out? I have to tell everyone I know about this guy’s hustle. I can’t wait to go out to his next crazy assed show with a bunch of my peoples because his shows are like a party and there’s always some unexpected stuff happening. Plus Tah chills with us after the show and he ain’t on no ‘superstar’ shyt.”

You can check out Tah on the web at FilthyClean.com, TahOnline.com & CDbaby.com/TahPhrumDuhBush, and you can contact him via MySpace at myspace.com/tahphrumduhbushh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to say that I know this gentleman personally and I am one of the few people that get him right off the bat. From the moment I met him I knew that he was a natural entertainer and that he has the ability to tickle your intellectual strings. So my advice to anyone who is looking to enhance their musical horizons is to check him out.
Ditto that... Tah's a good friend of mine and one of the most talented MC's I know.
Anonymous said…
DJ X-RAY Of the Universal ZULU Nation

Tah truly motivates the crowd with his uplifting vibe and lyrical humor that gives everyone eargaszums. His presents, originality ,charisma, performance & lyrical wordplay and energy seperates him as an artist and not a rapper.
Anonymous said…
Tha is one of the best performers I have ever seen!! - He keeps the crowd the whole time - above that he is a joy to work with - always teaching and helping out people who are serious about thier pursuit of a hiphop career - I love him - But know that he's a dam nut case - DaButtonpusha - Juts Pressin' Buttons Productions, INC - Pittsburgh, pa
www.myspace.com/jpbinc
Anonymous said…
Tah is cool. His lyrics are uplifting and a joy to listen to.
Anonymous said…
Fuck Tahphrumduhbush!!! His Mudda Blows!!!



watup Tah.(smile)
Anonymous said…
TAH IS DA TRUTH!!! DA STREETS!!! DA REAL!!! ITS ELECTION TIME!!! You know what it is TAH!! TAH FOR PRESIDENT!!!
HIS STAGESHOW IS UNMATCHED!! - Musik G

Popular Posts