Artist Of The Week - Kameko


Soul, how many singers really have it? The idea of the soul singer is one that seems to have gone by the wayside in favor of R&B singers who stick strictly with love songs. While loving women is great, whatever happened to the artists who brought up real issues in their music? Kameko is here to bring that very feeling back to music. He started by giving listeners Evalt: Evolutionary Alternative, an album that featured both powerful songwriting and incredible vocal skills. In 2006 he’s returning with Evalt: Chapter 2. For this particular project Kameko worked with Michael Jackson on the track, "Down and Out" as well as M-1 of Dead Prez on "Tired Of Being Broke." Previously Kameko's worked with Vanessa Williams, Toni Braxton, Grace Jones, Peabo Bryson, CeCe Peniston and a host of other major recording artists. Evalt 2 may not be hitting the streets until October, but you can find out more about this talented individual today as Kameko is this week's Artist Of The Week.

Adam Bernard: Evalt was a tremendous album, and you're following it up this year with another effort, Evalt 2. Tell me a little bit about what we can expect from your new work.
Kameko: They can expect a more evolved sound and a little bit more excitement in the production. We used a lot more Hip-Hop elements. I collaborated with some rap artists to really give it a rock/pop/Hip-Hop balance, which to me gives this album a more well-rounded appeal.

Adam Bernard: You've been working with some big names. What's it been like networking and being the studio with artists of such caliber?
Kameko: It has been very rewarding because I have learned so much about the industry and about staying power in the industry. I also learned what true artistry means because I've had the opportunity to work with artists that to me define art. The best way to describe it is that each collaboration was an evolutionary experience which truly allowed me to grow as an artist.

Adam Bernard: What is your goal when you record a song and put an album together? What are you hoping people get out of your music?
Kameko: I'm hoping that listeners get a warm vibration from the music and the lyrical content, the same vibration that I got when I first heard Erykah Badu, Bob Marley, Whitney Houston and Jimi Hendrix. What I want to do is open the doors for the male market to become sensitive again, because it's lost a great deal of its sensitivity. We haven't had a platform to express ourselves in topics other than love-making and dancing. I want to give more and want to help fill that void. I want to talk about real issues and things that will contribute to the planetary healing that needs to take place.

Adam Bernard: I know from listening to Evalt you have some fairly strong stances on the what's going on in the world today. What do you feel music's role is in dealing with the issues of the day?
Kameko: I think we really need a musical revolution. I think that music holds more power than politics. I also think that a lot of what is going on today politically and spiritually is attributed to the lack of conscious music. As I say on the track "Down and Out" feat. Michael Jackson, we don't have any Marvin's right now. We don't have any Marvin Gaye's. "The people are starving/Ain't got no Marvin's." And that line to me rings true. I also feel that right now it is more important than ever for music to change because there are so many musical prophets that have been muzzled for too long. With the pioneering assistance of the internet I am so excited to say that the much-needed voices of consciousness will now be heard.

Adam Bernard: Finally, your music can, at times, be "baby makin" music. Do you know of any folks who have procreated because of your music, or named a kid after you because your music got them in the mood? Would that be the ultimate compliment?
Kameko: I've been told that the music is touching, warm, and to some degree sensual, however, to my knowledge no baby makin' as of yet, but there have been two children named after me and it is a huge compliment and a great honor.

Websites: kamekoevalt.com & tarpaulrecords.com

MySpace: myspace.com/kamekoevalt1

Comments

Popular Posts