RIP Eddie Guerrero


Eddie Guerrero - Rest In Peace


I’m not going to make another completely sad and depressing entry, I promise. Later in this post I’ll even get around to talking about how much I want to party with the Carolina Panthers’ cheerleaders. All that being said, however, I would be remiss if I didn’t start my post with some reflection on the life of a true wrestling legend, Eddie Guerrero, who, like many wrestling legends, was taken from us at a very early age.

Eddie Guerrero was found dead yesterday in his hotel room, he was only 38 and still completely at the top of his game in the ring. What makes this story even more tragic is that Eddie had conquered so many demons in his life, including alcoholism, only to be taken down by a heart attack. I will forever remember Eddie both as a WCW and a WWE wrestler, cutting amazing promos and having classic matches. Eddie was the kind of guy who could have a great match with a broom. No matter how much of a heel ownership wanted him to be the fans would not stop chanting for him, even during the whole "who’s your papi" angle with Rey Mysterio, there was that much love for the man. I am deeply saddened by his passing and can’t imagine what Smackdown will be like without him. His family will be in my prayers.

Sticking with wrestling for a moment, am I the only person who sees the unreal similarities between the new Converse Dwayne Wade logo and the old Chris Jericho logo? C’mon Converse, this one’s way too obvious.

Speaking of obvious, but moving away from wrestling, it seems the folks who cast the voices for The Boondocks cartoon missed some of the most obvious points of the original comic strip. Huey is supposed to extra mature for his age, extremely well read and educated to a point where he can have real conversations with adults. This is why when I, and most of my friends, read the comic strip we imagined him with a deep voice, or at the very least a deep voice for a kid. So what’s he sound like in the new cartoon? A little girl. Yup, he’s got a high pitched voice and half the jokes lose their meaning because of it. Rather than something smart and thought provoking, a lot of Huey’s quips end up coming off more like that kid in class who thought he knew more than everyone. That’s not the way Huey should come off, what he says is usually pretty damned smart him it’s a shame they didn’t give him a voice to match his intellect. I refuse to believe my circle of friends read more deeply into the character of Huey than his creator, Aaron McGruder, did, so I’ve got to wonder who’s call it was to give Huey the high pitched voice.

Did I mention how much I want to party with the Carolina Panther’s cheerleaders? Sex in the ladies room followed by a bar fight.... these are my kind of girls! Now whenever I see the Panthers win a game all I can think is "where’s the party at!?" If only they had been at Bravo on Thursday when I needed them.

My week looks to be pretty light. Heck, my weekend was downright hermit-like. I’m already at page 130 of the book I took out from the library on Tuesday. Yeah, you do the math, I’ve been staying in and reading a lot. Hey, at least I’m getting smarter, right?

Comments

AJ WOODSON said…
DAMN I didnt even know
he was a prominate figure in pro wrestling.
Do they think his heart attack was work related
Adam Bernard said…
I think his heart attack was past drug and alcohol related. He had been sober for four years but all those years of abusing one's body eventually takes effect. Unfortunately for Eddie, it took effect as soon as he was clean.

Popular Posts