All Mixed Up

I don’t know who coined the phrase that all good things must come to an end, but for me another one of the good things in my life came to an end last Tuesday. Five days after my grandmother passed away, three days after my birthday, and only a day after being dumped by a girl, DJ Cue called me up to say that he wanted to "change the format of In Da Mixx." I knew what this meant, this meant that after two years of showing up early and heavily promoting the show, I was out.

To say I’ve had support in this situation would be an understatement. As soon as I let one of my friends at the station know he immediately asked me to be on his show, as did another DJ. I guested on The Jump Off last week and have spoken with quite a few of the higher ups at WVOF regarding getting my own time slot. A prime slot was vacated a few weeks ago that I think I’d be perfect for, as do quite a few other people.

Some have told me I should be mad at Cue for severing our working relationship. I’m not necessarily mad that he did it, but I am upset at the way he did it. He called me up the day of the show to tell me not to come in. Now, I don’t know how much preparation he puts into the show but I had already prepared plenty of stuff for that night. Thankfully I got to use some of that material on The Jump Off. Also, he decided to cut me off the week after I covered for him when he couldn’t make it in. At WVOF if you miss a certain amount of shows you’re out, and over the span of the last three months I covered for Cue four times, so basically without me there In Da Mixx stood the very real risk of been pulled. Do I feel I deserved better? Heck yes, as do others. A lot of people said I deserved a farewell show, but in the next breath said it would never happen because Cue might feel he’d lose a lot of listeners if told them outright that I was leaving. This way they have to at least tune in a few times to figure out I’m not there anymore.

During our phone conversation Cue said he wanted to change the format so he could play more music and get serviced by more labels. The sad thing about this was that during our conversation he kept saying "me" rather than the "us" I always used to say. To me that was a clear indicator that something else had changed, what that something is I still don’t know. A lot of people, including former guests, have speculated that Cue may have had underlying negative feelings towards me because I was becoming quite popular because of the show and a lot of talk about the show centered around things I’d said, but in my eyes all of that didn’t matter because I wasn’t going to go anywhere in radio without Cue. I figured he gave me a chance so if anyone wanted me he was coming with. As any of my friends will tell you I’m an extremely loyal individual.

With those loyalties to Cue now gone I find myself on my own in radio, if I choose to continue on that path. Before Cue asked me to be on In Da Mixx I never thought I’d be in radio. In two short years, however, I’ve become one of Fairfield County’s favorite radio personalities. Many have told me I’m too entertaining, and have too much to offer, not to have my own time slot. I thank those people and hope they’re right. If I don’t get my own time slot, though, I’ll take heart in knowing it’s all part of some grand plan for my life. As I’ve stated before I never have concrete goals, I just basically go wherever God takes me. Maybe my Tuesday night’s being opened up will clear the way for a new endeavor in life. I don’t pretend to know what the future holds, I’m just trying to do my best while here.

So here was one seven day span in my life:

10/13 - My grandmother passes away
10/15 - My Birthday + Hofstra Homecoming
10/17 - I get dumped by the girl I was looking to make my girlfriend
10/18 - Cue decides to go solo, so I’m gone from the radio show
10/20 - I get hit on by a transsexual (yeah, that’s another story for another time)

Had my birthday and Hofstra Homecoming not been in the middle of all that I have no clue what my mind state would be like right now. Talk about a full week. Here’s hoping this week brings some positivity back into my life. I like to think that when one door closes three more open, so I guess right now I just have to search for those doorways, because a lot of them must be open after last week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow, been in radio I know how it can be but don't worry about it, everthing happens for a reason, ya ya its cliche but its true take care.

Vida.moultrie@gmail.com
Admin said…
I already told you that your potential is ridiculous. You have the power to will things to occur in your life. Right now you need to concentrate on you various accomplishments. Build yourself up and figure the path that you want to take and simply take it. No sense in dwelling in the past. No point in rehashing what you already know. Now it's time to grind out and do all that you are capable of. I know it. Everyone knows it. Question is do you know it. You're the important factor in this all as in it is your life.

I'd like to thank you again for getting me and few heads up there to Fairfeild earlier this year. We all enjoyed the time we spent on In Da Mixx. I can't honestly say I'd look forward to the show anymore. And I will not be listening any longer.

I also wanna thank you for taking interest in me and ultimately getting an important issue in Elemental Mag.

You know you can holla at me anytime.

Conscious
Adam, you know what, this could be a blessing in disguise for you brother. The way Cue did you was indeed wrong, but the way you are going about is the right way.(you know, not puring gasoline on him and smoking a cigarette over him and all) This could be your chance to shine and blow up on your own, get your own syndicated show, and have the "Black Blogger of the Year" on.(*hint-hint-hint*)

I also know about many bad things happening to you in a short time span. In a course of a month my old man died, my mother was diagnosed with cancer, my fiancee of 5 years left me for a bum(basically) and 9/11 happened. You will be alright, just think about that character in the Bible, Jobe.(You know how god tested him with bad things to make sure his faith was strong, yadda-yadda-yadda.I am so not religious, so that probably came off as weird, sorry.) Sorry for the long rant as well.

P.S How do you feel about Saigon?
Adam Bernard said…
Thank you all for the kind words. And Humanity Critic... you DEFINITELY know about bad months bro. And you know if I get my own time slot you'll be a scheduled call-in!

PS - Saigon is cool. Looking forward to seeing more of him on Entourage next season and hearing some more music from him.

Peace, ADAM

Popular Posts