Deadline Action

Man oh man do I love trading deadlines. OK, so not much movement happened this past Sunday in the majors, but I used that deadline fervor to make a few deals of my own in my fantasy league. I’m in first in Runs, Home Runs and RBI’s by a lot and everyone behind me is all bunched up in a tight race for second. My lone question to myself when looking to trade was who can I give power stats to who’s upward movement in those categories will help me? I know that sounds a little complicated so lemme break it down for ya’ll. When looking at the overall standings there are all of two people ahead of me and both of them are very close in the power categories, but the good news for me is everyone else is hot on their tails. Knowing this I took at look at those hot on their tales and immediately starting making offers. Not only did I ship Carlos Delgado and Preston Wilson to teams that needed their numbers, but I picked up Ben Sheets and Yhency Brazoban to improve my pitching numbers. To me that’s a win-win. In addition to those moves I picked up Randy Winn, the only decent player to come to the NL at the deadline. I made sure to have the #1 spot on the waiver wire for the deadline, and when all the talk was about Manny Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano I was stoked. Getting Winn isn’t a huge victory, but it did make trading Wilson that much easier.

Staying in fantasy sports, this weekend I also started up the old fantasy football league again. This is year six of the Colony Diner League and this year it’s looking like we’re going to have 20 teams. I’m sure there are people out there who think that’s crazy and traditional leagues only have 12 teams but funk that, I’m all about having fun with this. Fun is the real reason to play fantasy baseball and fantasy football. Fun is the reason I’m willing to make crazy trades. If it’s not fun it’s not worth it.

It’s a good thing I have things like fantasy baseball and fantasy football to keep some fun in the forefront because I had a situation with an artist, or more precisely, an artist’s manager, the other day that wasn’t enjoyable at all. The second edition of The Cut happens this month on the 19th and we had an artist cancellation yesterday, just a few short weeks before the show. We’ve had the flyers printed for nearly a month and distributed them everywhere so I was more than a little peeved at the late cancellation. The manager didn’t think it was late at all and said he felt he was being good about things and not waiting till the last minute. Guess what, if the promotional materials have already been printed and distributed it’s the last minute! What made this cancellation overly strange is that the excuse was that the artist was told to take some time off. As far as I can tell I haven’t seen the artist performing anywhere and if Kelly Clarkson can do a 40 city tour where she sings for an hour straight each night I see no reason why an artist who’s trying to develop a following can’t handle 15 minutes of stage time.

Personally I don’t buy the excuse and think there’s something else behind it. It’s strange, though, that of all the things to cancel they’d choose my show. I had recently interviewed this artist and am still pitching the article to publications. Now, anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis knows I’m sometimes pitching upwards of a dozen articles at once so why, if you’re an artist’s manager, would you do anything to jeopardize the placement of that article? It doesn’t make much sense to me.

Thankfully we had a replacement waiting in the wings to take this particular artist’s place who was more than happy to take the slot. This makes the artist who canceled look doubly awful since the new artist that will be hitting the stage does the same exact genre of music. With all this in mind the cancellation comes under the heading of a "what were you thinking!?!?" career move. It’s a shame, too, because I really like the artist as a person.

Comments

Popular Posts