About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)

w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)

w/ Millionaires ('12)

w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)

w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Cookin With A Square Egg
Sunday, July 31, 2005
Last night I was in the city to see The Square Egg at The Knitting Factory. The Square Egg is a dope ten piece Hip-Hop / Jazz band and since I’m going to be interviewing the lead singer, Lee, on Monday I thought it would be a good idea to see them live. A lot of artists you don’t have to see live, you can just listen to an album and get all you need to know, but as soon as you hear the words "ten piece band" it’s probably a pretty good idea to make whatever trip you have to to see them.

The performance was off the hook. Despite the crowd being a rock crowd everyone caught The Square Egg vibe almost instantaneously. Though they’re extremely hard to describe, my boy Dyalekt put it pretty nicely when he said he felt it was like if Common had, instead of going with Kanye West for his latest album, hooked up with an awesome band. I describe them in a way far less people understand by simply calling them Bluezeum the next generation (for those of you who forgot, or never knew, Bluezeum had a moderate hit about ten years ago with "Can I Get That Funk" off of their, in my opinion, classic album Portrait of a Groove).

While the show was great getting there and getting back was an adventure. First off, the new message that gets broadcast at the train station while you’re waiting for your train is just plain disturbing. I do not like hearing a recorded voice telling me that if I’m carrying a bag that it may be searched at any point in time. Hearing that message on what seemed to be a ten minute loop made me feel as though I was living in a country under martial law. It seriously didn’t make me feel comfortable, or welcome, at all.

Once in the city I managed to catch subways where the conductors were ignoring the ideas of Local and Express. I jumped on what was supposed to be a local 1 train, but as it zoomed by my stop I realized it was going the express route. That wasn’t so bad, I just had to walk an extra four blocks after getting off. On the way home when the express 2 train decided to be a local 1 train it really messed with me. Not only did I have to wait ten minutes for the train to arrive, it took forever to get to 42nd street. After jumping on the 7 I made it to Grand Central with a whole five minutes to run to my train and get a seat. Thankfully I caught it, and ended up getting home at around 3:30 AM, but it was an adventure.

I have no idea what the rest of the weekend holds for me but I’m hoping it will be fairly quiet. The mailman has been giving me plenty to do since the past few days the stack of CD’s on my desk has doubled. So far this weekend I’ve listened to four full length albums (Dip Set, Killer Mike, Kev Brown, Ruff Ryders) and two samplers (Killer Mike, Charlie Wilson). I still have a lot more to listen to, but at least it’s something I can do while watching the Mets or playing a video game.

Speaking of the Mets, it seems as though the proposed deal to make Manny a Met isn’t going to happen. I would have loved to see him driving in some runs for us, especially after last night’s zero run effort (Glavine you really deserve better), but I’m confident Omar Minaya still has something up his sleeve. What would really be nice would be seeing Carlos Beltran play like he did the past few years. The only reason he’s not getting killed in the papers is because of how well Reyes, Wright, Floyd and Pedro have been. If we don’t make the playoffs all fingers will be pointing at Beltran.

Final Thought: If you blog about your life and no one reads it is it anything more than an exercise in self-absorption?
posted by Adam Bernard @ 12:17 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them

Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout

What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of


Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts