I Ain't No Joke

Yeah, it’s been a long time. I know, but hey, when duty calls I gotta do what I gotta do and thankfully I’ve been getting a lot of work in recent weeks. Yesterday I got a call while I was in GNC. I was carrying two containers of protein and a case of protein bars as my phone vibrated in my pocket. The screen read "Unavailable ID," which meant I had to answer it. "Unavailable ID" always means the call is important, but being that I was in a store in the middle of the mall I tried my best to keep my voice down. It got hard to keep it to a whisper, however, when I found out it was XXL Magazine that was on the other end of the line. They were answering an article I pitch I called them about a few weeks ago. The article was already online, but after reading it and seeing my resume they decided they want me to start writing for their 360 section near the start of the magazine. My first article is due in a week. I am psyched beyond all comprehension. I did feel a little strange pitching myself in a whisper over my cell phone in the middle of GNC with people watching and listening in. After I hung up I realized that I was talking about interviewing 50 Cent and 112 and though that’s normal for me I’m pretty sure it didn’t exactly fall under the heading of "normal" for the rest of the customers I the store. The lady at the register even commented "wow, well that was a whirlwind." She doesn’t even know the half.

Speaking of great things, last night’s In Da Mixx featured three of my favorite guests of all time, Substantial, Insanate and O*Asiatic. It was, by far, the most entertaining In Da Mixx of the year and I can’t wait to get a copy of the show so I can take another listen to it. It’s always nice when you can have a running joke that was started a handful of months ago and is still funny after all that time. And if you’re reading this Tatyana Ali... PLEASE come on our show!

In addition to the work items already mentioned I’m also going to be writing a few reviews for Remix Magazine this weekend and I’m busily pitching half a dozen other interviews. Did I mention I’m also doing three artist interviews this week? One was yesterday, one today and one tomorrow. If it’s at all possible, at the end of February I want to take a long weekend. I don’t plan on going anywhere, it would just be cool to have a few days to not worry about anything. That being said, I’m really enjoying the freelance lifestyle. I pretty much call the shots when it comes to when I do my work with the exception of the occasional tight deadline. I guess what I’m saying is, the feeling of constant rejection, which is a large aspect of the freelance writing game, and having your work always around, isn’t so bad when you get to spend a couple hours at the gym everyday, whenever you want.

In other news, well, there really isn’t any other news. Last weekend one of my friends came up from Queens and we chilled, but other than that my social life has been nonexistent. What makes me a little mad is I’ve been trying to write a letter to a friend who’s locked up and I just can’t think of a good way to start it. I can’t just say "Hey how ya doin," because I know how he’s doing, he’s locked up and I can make a reasonable assumption that it’s not all sunshine and supermodels in there. I gotta get a letter to him, though, so I’ll attempt to type one out over the next few days and see what I can come up with.

Final Thought: I got these new vitamins at GNC the other day that have so much B-12 in them that they make me kinda hyper after taking them. I’m going to take one before hitting the gym today to see if they have any positive effects on my workout. A friend joked with me that at the rate I’m going I’ll look like Johnny Bravo soon. Hey, it’s a goal!

Comments

Popular Posts