It's In Hebrew, Homey

Yesterday I got a buzz from the mailman. This is something that I’m not used to. My mailman is a cool dude, and we shoot the shit when we bump into eachother, but he buzzed me saying I had a package I had to sign for. I really dislike having to sign for things. I asked who the heck wanted me to sign for something (cuz he knows the deal). He told me it was an international package. This perked my interest. Who do I know that’s international that would send me something? I went downstairs and he told me it was from Israel. Israel? Now I was really confused. I took one look at the package, however, and figured it all out. Straight outta Tel-Aviv, Israel, Israeli rap group TACT All-Stars presented by Subliminal (at least that's the best I can figure out on my own). That’s right, Hebrew Hip-Hop, and it’s a double CD. I popped in the first CD last night and despite not knowing most of what they were saying it was dope. They have intensity and passion when they rhyme and their beats are off the hook. I’m going to set up an interview with them shortly.

Last night a female friend stopped by (cute one, too). It’s funny, every time I’m hanging with a female it makes me realize how hard it is to find the right person. Don’t get me wrong, I have female friends, and they’re all cool, but despite having my abrasive nature softened a bit this year there still aren’t too many people that can handle my personality. It’s not so much that I’m abrasive, but I think the fact that I now embrace everything that is "me" may be equally as hard to handle, just for different reasons. It seems like no matter what I do I’m always going to be a little hard to handle and, for the most part, I’m at peace with that.

Earlier in the week I had a classic "just don’t give a fuck" moment. I was at the post office waiting on a massively long line when my cell phone rang. I did what any normal person would do, I answered it and had a quick conversation. I thought nothing of it until I hung up and saw a woman behind me giving me a strange look. It wasn’t a complete screwface, but it was one of those looks where you could tell she wasn’t happy. I turned to my left and saw a fairly large sign that said "No Cell Phone Use In Post Office," or something of that nature. I just laughed. I wish someone had taken a picture of me on the phone in front of that sign. It would have been beautiful. If I sent out Christmas cards it would have been my Christmas card. "Seasons Greetings... I ignore your petty rule book."

This past week I also had luck pitching my articles as it looks like I’ll be in another major magazine! The pitching is a pain in the butt, but it’s extremely rewarding when you finally hear back from someone who sees your vision for what you’ve written. My heart dropped a bit though when I was told I had to add a paragraph to my story explaining who A Tribe Called Quest were because readers may not know. That made me feel so old, but I checked the dates on the backs of their albums and it’s true, their final CD was released over half a decade ago. Sigh.

In Da Mixx was fantastic on Tuesday, I got my first standing ovation! My Hip-Hop news / stand up comedy routine has been getting better and better each week and this past week some kids who were having a meeting in the lounge were listening to the show and actually started clapping after I completed my last punchline. I was ecstatic! It shows that people are noticing us and liking what we do. I gotta give props to DJ Cue for suggesting the concept of a weekly segment where I do all the news at one time, though he gives me all the props in the world for putting my own unique twist on it each week.

It’s a dreary, rainy day today, perfect for staying in. The sun hasn’t even made a guest appearance in the sky. I’ve already watched one DVD today that I have to review, Snoop’s Puff Puff Pass Tour DVD, and I’ll be sitting on my sofa watching another later. CD’s are so much easier to deal with, you can put them on and do something else while listening to them. DVD’s require your full attention. You can’t put on a DVD and check your email. Free entertainment is free entertainment, though, so it’s still all love.

Final Thought - Young Buck is an idiot.

Comments

Lisa said…
All I wanted to say was that your job sounds bomb.What are you,like a journalist?
Adam Bernard said…
Thank you and yes, you are correct, I'm a Journalist!

Popular Posts