A Powerful Latino?

This past week was fairly uneventful. Everything went pretty much the way it always does. I’ve been spending the majority of my time trying to find new and interesting ways to hype both the radio show and the message board I recently launched for it. I’m finding people, as a whole, are very apathetic towards anything that isn’t already established. It’s this kind of reasoning that leads to no new music ever being broken, and very few new ideas ever being embraced. As a people we’re accustomed to having things built for us, rather than building them for ourselves. Maybe I’m different, but I love the feeling associated with building something, or being a part of something being built. I think, deep down, it’s a primal thing. Since I’m a man, building things, no matter in what form, is important because it’s the closest a man can come to giving birth. So whether we give birth to an idea, a website, a gas grill, or an end table, it’s our baby. This is probably why men feel so close to the things we create and are sometimes unwilling to alter our personal opinions even when we know they might be wrong.

So, that was quite a digression now, wasn’t it? Back on the topic of In Da Mixx, my homegirl SolStorm suggested that joining MiGente.com might be an effective way of bringing traffic to the sites. About an hour after logging on to the site I had created my profile. Once I had created my profile I noticed MiGente’s tag line, "the power of Latinos." My friend Amy commented "yes, because that’s how I’ve always viewed you, as a powerful Latino." Hey, if it works I’ll take it, lol! I’d be the first Irish, German, Russian, Polish person to be considered Latino in history!

In addition to all things radio show related I’ve been pitching articles like crazy this week. I’ve sent my interviews with Saul Williams, The Pharcyde and Substantial to various publications and am still waiting to hear back. Best believe a few places will be getting wake up calls on Monday. I’m not one to let my work sit.

Due my hectic work schedule this past week I haven’t had as much time to read. I’m in the middle of a great poetry anthology right now, though, and some of the work in it is really impressive. There’s one poem in particular that really sticks out about a group of Indian women on a train waiting to meet their husbands for the first time. I have a friend who’s of that culture and though it may work for some, hearing about arranged marriage from a woman’s perspective is hard to get out of one’s head. There’s also a great poem by one of my personal fav’s, the late great Tupac Shakur, about faithfulness. Dude was a straight up genius. The book is even inspiring me to potentially pen some work of my own in the poetry genre. It's been a while since I've written a poem, but I sure do have a lot on my mind and it would be interesting to see how it would all play out in the form of a poem.

Final Thought: Is it possible to embrace solitude? And more importantly, is it healthy to?

Comments

Popular Posts