Hero Takes A Fall

When I heard the news last night I was literally stunned. Initially I couldn't move from my seat. Roy Jones Jr., one of my sports idols from WAY back, not only got knocked down, but got knocked out. Say it ain't so! Roy Jones Jr., pound for pound the best boxer of the 90's and one of the ten best ever in any weight class?!? Roy Jones Jr., the main reason I've been a subscriber to HBO for so long?!? Roy Jones Jr., the reason the Pay Per View people have so much of my money?!? Roy Jones Jr. knocked out in the second round?!? Thankfully I didn't order last night's event, I guess being broke this weekend was God's way of saying "you don't want to see this." It's even hard to look at the pictures. Roy is a guy who's never supposed to hit the canvas. He's the guy who always knew exactly how far away to be from a fighter in order to not get hit. Heck, half the time he'd let his guard down he was such a good judge of range. But there he was, laid out, almost out of the ring. There will undoubtedly be a Jones - Tarver III, but I don't know how that will end. How does one bounce back from defeat when they've never really been defeated before? I really thought that with all the garbage Tarver was talking Roy was going to KO him early, and he WAS leading on all the judges' cards, but it just goes to show ya what one lucky punch can do. Tyson got KO'd in his prime by a lesser fighter, as did Lennox Lewis. Here's hoping Roy comes back with a vengeance in his next fight as I'll gladly pay $50 to see him KO Tarver in the first round. If he doesn't, however, well, let's not think about that.

Comments

Popular Posts