About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)


w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)


w/ Millionaires ('12)


w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)


w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Friday, April 30, 2004
Attempting to find happiness from within

I haven't been searching enough. Searching is such a huge aspect of who I am, it's what keeps me away from stagnancy. I need to go on another search. I'm not sure what I'm searching for at this point, but I know I need to search because I'm a little bored right now. A little inspiration is really all I need. Inspiration and some cash to head out once in a while. I'm not a big partier but it's impossible to meet anyone new, anyone who could possibly inspire, without any money. The money situation has gotten so crazy that the other day I was just walking through a store, a regular old clothing sore, thinking to myself "I wonder what it would be like to work here," just because I'm so sick of working freelance. Don't get me wrong, I love writing, but the fact is, in 2004, so few people read and so few people appreciate good writing that it's damn near impossible to find full time work. I've been sending out resumes like a mad man and so far I've gotten one reply, from a weekly paper in Connecticut wanting an ENTRY LEVEL reporter for all the boring shit and grunt work. I told them I'd mull it over, but I know I'd end up completely bored in that position. I was completely bored when I was working nights at the Connecticut Post doing grunt work. I need something interesting, something that will excite my mind. The teaching concept fell through, for now. I didn't realize one needed a specialized degree, or a masters, just to teach in a public school. It's almost like our society only rewards people who want to be certain professions. I knew I wanted to be a writer since high school but I'm still struggling, yet if someone decided in their second year of college that they wanted to teach, they get their degree then BAM they're a teacher.

The arts are so undervalued. Even when I think of a place where I wouldn't mind grunt work it's always a museum or an art gallery. I can handle a job that would typically be billed as boring as long as it's in an interesting field that's ever changing. Take an art gallery for instance. The art changes all the time. New things to look at, new things to think about, new things to write about (even if the writing would be just for me). It's times like these where I really need to resort to Zen-like thoughts, find beauty in the moment, realize that where I am is great no matter where I am. Last night I started counting my blessing before I went to sleep. They weren't all monetary blessings, some were much simpler, such as "I have the ability to be awake, even when I don't want to be." Sounds stupid, but if we can learn to enjoy moments like that we win.

Today I'm heading out to lunch with a friend of mine (possibly two but the second friend almost never shows up), hittin the gym, then kickin back. After three days I'm already well over 100 pages into Howard Stern's Private Parts. I'm reading it to try to get some insight as to what he did to make it big in radio. It's an easy read so far, and very enjoyable. I expect to be reading more of it tonight as I couldn't find a good old movie to watch. Last weekend La Dolce Vita was on one of the classic movie channels (I think TCM). Even though it was in Italian with subtitles it was still hot and at times I really related to the main character. (Incidentally, the movie comes out on DVD in September, at which point I'll be picking it up) This Saturday I may be heading into the city. Maybe I'll bump into some inspiration there.
posted by Adam Bernard @ 11:13 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Follow

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them


Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout


What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
AngryMarks
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
FreeHipHopNow
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
iHeartDilla
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
RapDirt
RapReviews
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of

BLOGGER

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts