The Good, the Bad and the Eunuch

Let's start with the good because it's always nice to start on something positive. Last night's radio show, despite the entire FU campus being locked like Fort Knox due to Spring Break, was fantastic. Chaundon made it in from The Bronx despite the inclement weather (snow, in mid-March? Really?) and fit in with the format of the program from jump. His freestyle session with Kwote was amazing as the two even took the liberty of freestyling the song titles from eachother's albums.

Also falling under the category of "good" is the fact that I've finally decided to turn my spare room (which is currently a guest room) into a complete home office. With the way the job market is it seems like I'll be working from home for a while, and truthfully, as a writer, I'll probably be working from home for a good part of my life, so it only makes sense to redo the condo to accommodate my work life. I feel this will be good for a couple reasons, the first of which being I'll be able to invite a coworker over and talk business in my office, rather than in my bedroom (which is where my desk is now). Second, it may help to relieve any work-related stress since hopefully I'll be able to contain my work in the one room rather than having it spread out all over my krib. Working from home can be great, but it DOES mean work is ALWAYS there. This may be a way of centralizing the work. Third, it's just time for another change. Working from home means I'm always home, so every six months or so I need to move around some furniture, change what's on the walls, do something to make it look like a new place so I don't go insane. I watch a lot of Trading Spaces and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, so I should be OK with the redecorating.

Onto the bad. I heard a rumor last night that Atlantic is going to be the next label to be swallowed up. Ugh. Seriously, when is this going to end? We need competition in the music industry and if we end up with only two major labels I fear for our ears. Here's hoping at the end of all this restructuring Def Jux ends up vaulting into mainstream prominence. How funny would that be? All these majors losing money, cutting costs, firing employees, ending up making way for the king of the indies to become a major player. I know it's a pipe dream, but still, at least it's a good one!

Lastly, the eunuch. I know this is a strange thing to end on, but I was having a conversation with one of my really good female friends the other day and we got to talking about personalities. I was telling her about how I can't get a date and openly asked her why she thinks that is. She noted that she had fun with me when we went out (as friends) and that I'm cool and funny, but I'm also loud and call attention to myself. I don't mind people lookin at me, let 'em stare for all I care, but apparently the female of the species is much less self-confident and much more self-conscious. Another female friend of mine said she oftentimes feels like everybody is looking at us when we hang out. GOOD! Let 'em see who the boss is. Anyways, this led to the revelation of revelations, and it's something I've known for a while, my homegirl told me there's really nothing sexual about me, there's no sexual vibe whatsoever. I'm cool, I'm funny, I'm a great friend, but I don't give off that vibe, I don't have that aura about me that screams "fuck" rather than "friend." I'm stuck giving out the "friend" vibe even when I'm with a girl I'm trying to give the "fuck" vibe to. I guess I just set a personal life goal, to figure out what the "fuck" vibe is and implement it into my repertoire, cuz if I don't I'll be stuck singin' a certain Biz Markie classic for a long long time.

Comments

Popular Posts