Pop Shots – 5 Songs On The Radio That Don’t Suck

Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week I’m bringing back an old favorite – 5 Songs on the Radio That Don’t Suck. I haven’t done one of these in over two years because, quite frankly, the mainstream has been at low tide for quite some time. I’d say the waters have been stagnant, but it’s more like they’ve been polluted, which is why I’ve been listening to a lot of classic rock radio, and oldies stations.

That said, I still keep an ear out for what’s new, and recently I’ve been happy to hear some great rock, and pop, and witness the rise of an artist I interviewed many years ago who’s had a major shift in genre resulting in a song that might very well be the best of the year.

So let’s get into these five songs that are all excellent reasons to crank up the radio. Of course, since this is Pop Shots, you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

Jelly Roll – “Need A Favor”

 

I’ve interviewed Jelly Roll twice over the years, first in 2015 for RapReviews, and then in 2016 I sat down with him over lunch for Myspace before a show he had at The Studio at Webster Hall in NYC (post show I joined his crew, and we crashed another show at the venue. It was a fun night).

Both times I spoke with him he was considered a hip-hop artist, but reading back the Myspace feature there are some hints that country music could be in his future.

The present is that future, and with “Need A Favor” Jelly Roll has given us a country crossover hit filled with so much emotion that it’s resonating with country, modern rock, and pop fans alike. This is song of the year material.

Each time I spoke with Jelly Roll he struck me as being incredibly genuine, which is why I’m genuinely happy for his success.

Shinedown – “Dead Don’t Die”

 

If you don’t listen to a lot of modern rock radio the following stat may come as a shock to you – Shinedown is one of the most prolific modern rock bands in history, with 30 of their songs having reached the Top 10 on the Modern Rock Airplay chart, 18 of which having ascended all the way to #1.

“Dead Don’t Die” is the latest song of theirs that’s going be absolutely gigantic. It rocks hard, and it has a hook that gets stuck in your head, and feels amazing to sing/shout along to.

On a personal note, as a cancer survivor some of the lyrics are especially powerful, because “I won’t be the ending that was written for me …”

Fall Out Boy – “Love From The Other Side”

 

This may be considered a flaming hot take to some folks, but here goes – I don’t think Fall Out Boy are capable of making a bad song.

Now, if any members of the band are reading this, that’s not a challenge! I swear, if you come out with something named “Adam Bernard said we’re incapable of making a bad song, so here’s something terrible” … honestly, I’d probably laugh my ass off.

Their latest single, “Love From The Other Side,” has the feel of a classic Fall Out Boy song, and if you don’t love that, maybe you just don’t like having fun.

I anticipate this one being cranked up in cars with the windows down all summer long. I know it’ll be cranked up in mine!

Sabrina Carpenter – “Nonsense”

 

Longing for the vibe of early Ariana Grande, back when she was working with Babyface, and had more of an R&B flavor to her music? Sabrina Carpenter’s “Nonsense” has that vibe. It also has “summer hit” written all over it.

Essentially, this is an R&B song dressed up as a pop song, which is something that’s become more prevalent over the years as the lines between the genres have been blurred (see what I did there? I hope the Marvin Gaye Estate doesn’t try to sue me).

I feel like “Nonsense” could launch Carpenter, who is already crazy famous with nearly 30 million followers on Instagram, into the next stratosphere of superstardom. Household name status in households that don’t even listen to pop music awaits!

David Guetta & Bebe Rexha – “I’m Good (Blue)”

 

I’ve been very vocal about the fact that I’ve been a fan of Bebe Rexha ever since I saw her perform at Warped Tour back in 2015. She has a fantastic voice, a great on-stage personality, and puts on a heck of a show.

One of her most recent singles, “I’m Good (Blue),” has become ever-present on Top 40 radio. The collaboration with David Guetta is a joyous ode to good times, and features a prominent Eiffel 65 sample. The sample is so prominent that Guetta and Rexha even included the Eiffel 65 song title in parenthesis alongside their own song title.

“I’m Good (Blue)” will be on people’s “Going Out” playlists for quite some time, and while I normally don’t like when pop artists use curse words, Rexha’s not a teenager, and the night she’s going out for is clearly one where adult things will be going on. That said, the radio edit still works just as well, if not better (this is actually kind of common), so whichever version you hear, it’s a heck of a good time.

That’s all for this edition of Pop Shots, but come back next Monday for more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts