Pop Shots – Legally Speaking

Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week I’m bringing you a special edition of Pop Shots, because on Thursday it’s my dad’s birthday!

In honor of my dad – who is a retired lawyer, turned law professor – I dug deep to find the best, and weirdest, songs about lawyers, the legal system, and the law (I honored my mom on her birthday, and I’m all about equal time here!).

I actually found a song titled “My Dad’s a Lawyer,” but it turned out to be not so great.

What I found that is great are the following six songs that include a few classics, and a few releases that are really out of left field. Of course, since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude. 

 

The Clash – I Fought the Law

 

Originally written and recorded by Sonny Curtis of the Crickets, and released in 1960, a 1966 cover recorded by the Bobby Fuller Four made “I Fought the Law” a mainstream success, reaching the top ten. The Clash’s version, however, was extra special, as not only was it a tremendous cover, it also helped the seminal punk rock band break into the U.S. in 1979.

You could say they truly laid down the law … although I guess based on the lyrics, the law laid them down. Ah well, it f*ckin’ rocks.


Judas Priest – Breaking the Law

 

If you are of a certain age – and I am of this certain age – it’s impossible to hear this song without thinking of Beavis and Butt-Head singing the chorus.

A rock classic, if you were to live out the lyrics of “Breaking the Law” you would most definitely be in need of a good lawyer.

If you were to live out the actions of the music video … well, you’d have a damned good time before being taken down.


Fall Out Boy – Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn’t Get Sued

 

This wasn’t just a fun song title from Fall Out Boy, it was the God’s honest truth.

Apparently the band originally wanted to name this song “My Name Is David Ruffin And These Are The Temptations” – a reference to when Ruffin tried to change the name of The Temptations to David Ruffin and The Temptations – but Fall Out Boy’s lawyer convinced the band that maybe getting sued by Ruffin’s estate wouldn’t be super fun.

For that piece of money saving advice, Pete Wentz and crew should definitely love their lawyer. Speaking of which … 


Cibo Matto – We Love Our Lawyers

 

Cibo Matto made some noise in the ‘90s alternative scene, and developed a dedicated following. That said, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on with their song “We Love Our Lawyers.”

This weird, and strangely catchy track was part of a compilation released by their record label, Grand Royal, titled At Home with the Groovebox. The album also included songs by Beck, Sonic Youth, and Pavement, among others.

As far as I can tell, “We Love Our Lawyers” makes no actual mention of Cibo Matto’s lawyers. One day I’ll have to find out the story here!


Warren Zevon – Lawyers, Guns and Money

 

I guess if you have guns, and money, you’re going to need a good lawyer at some point.

This Warren Zevon tale is a wild one. He seems to get himself into quite a bit of trouble, but the result is a catchy tune that I can’t seem to get out of my head.

It’s gonna be weird when I’m on line at a store quietly singing, “Send lawyers, guns, and money …” Hope the people near me aren’t too jumpy!


The Cruel Sea – Better Get a Lawyer

 

I have to admit, I hadn’t heard of this band until I did this deep dive for songs about lawyers. Doing a little research, I figured out why – they’re from Australia, and although “Better Get a Lawyer,” which was released in 1994, sounds ready made for MTV’s 120 Minutes, The Cruel Sea never made it to American airwaves, staying in their native Australia, and neighboring New Zealand, where they gained notoriety.

I wonder if a lawyer could’ve helped?

 

That’s all for this edition of Pop Shots – happy birthday dad! Come back next Monday for more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts