Pop Shots – Let's Get This (Birthday) Party Started!

Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, my birthday is coming up on Thursday, and I always like to do something fun with this column in honor of the occasion. Previously, I’ve taken a look at the songs that have been #1 on my birthday, when I hit 40 I celebrated artists who were also 40 years old, and I’ve even put together a playlist for going out in your 40s.

This year, in honor of my birthday, Pop Shots is dedicated to musicians who also have October birthdays. This is by no means a definitive list, but a fun one that allows me to tell a few stories along the way. Of course, since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

Icons
 
 

I was on a huge Tom Petty kick late last year and early this year, with his greatest hits album basically never leaving the tape deck of my car (yes, I know what year it is, and yes, I love old media). Not only is his voice iconic, the breadth of his work is truly spectacular.

Speaking of iconic voices, I love that I’m able to include Grace Slick in this column. She’s a total badass, and one of the most incredible vocalists of all-time.

Tom Petty

John Lennon

Paul Simon

Chuck Berry

Grace Slick


Rock 

There’s so much ‘90s goodness in here with Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, No Doubt, and Red Hot Chili Peppers (who also qualify as ‘80s goodness).

Meanwhile, having both lead singers of Van Halen is a fun coincidence (RIP Eddie Van Halen), and John Mellencamp will always make me think of my childhood, and hearing his Scarecrow album as I was falling asleep at night.

Scott Weiland

Gavin Rossdale 

Gwen Stefani

Flea and Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar (choose your version of Van Halen)

John Mellencamp


Pop

 

You know Daryl Hall’s show Live From Daryl’s House, where artists come over and jam with him? I’ve always thought that was the coolest thing ever, and while in Daryl’s case his “house” is his music venue, whenever I get my next home I want it to have a huge deck so my artist friends can plug in and perform whenever they’re in town.

I also love that Weird Al is an October birthday, because my entire youth was spent listening to Weird Al albums, and I can remember many a family road trip where he provided the soundtrack.

Daryl Hall

John Mayer

Natalie Merchant

Vanilla Ice

Ashlee Simpson

Weird Al


Hip-Hop

Who doesn’t love Snoop Dogg? The man is easily one of the coolest people on the planet. Heck, his coolness has even rubbed off on Martha Stewart!

Having Proof on this list is a bit heartbreaking, as I was one of the last people, if not the very last person, to interview him. He was so happy, and excited to talk about everything.

As for Cardi B, this is the second time she’s snuck into one of my birthday columns, as she previously made an appearance in my 2017 column about the songs that were #1 on my birthday. I guess I just have to face it – Cardi B and I are cosmically connected. That said, I promise I will never rap about my Wet Ass … uhh … Pencils. Yeah, I’m a writer, so that works.

Snoop Dogg

Proof

Cardi B

R&B
 

I don’t know if I’ve ever revealed this in a Pop Shots column, but Usher was born exactly one day before me, and for years, it might even be decades at this point, I’ve sworn he took all the singing and dancing talent out of that 24 hour period. It’s OK, though, I’ve forgiven him, as I’m very happy as a writer … although damn I wish I could sing!

Also, hell yeah to sharing not just a birth month, but a birth day with Ginuwine. Sure, his year of birth is 8 years before mine, but we’re both October 15th!

Usher

Ciara

Toni Braxton

Ne-Yo

Mya

Monica

Ashanti

Frank Ocean

Ginuwine

 

That’s all for this edition of Pop Shots, but come back next Monday for more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts