NYC Scene Report – Miranda Joan, Anna Rose, & more


This week’s NYC Scene Report features Miranda Joan getting “Free,” Anna Rose letting us know “Broken Is Beautiful,” Leah Voysey covering Noah Cyrus’ “July,” and Gon “Breaking Out.”

* Born in Montreal, raised in Vancouver, and now calling NYC home, singer-songwriter Miranda Joan is ready to get “Free.”

A mixture of pop, electronic music, and soul, “Free” sees Miranda Joan realizing it’s OK to live life for herself, as she sings that there’s no shame in being “a woman who wants to be free.”

While she’s living life for herself on “Free,” Miranda Joan has also been hard at work helping other women in the scene, as she’s the co-founder, and co-host, of NYC’s first all-female led jam session, Femme Jam.

Right now you can click play on her latest jam, and get “Free” with Miranda Joan.


* Longtime column favorite Anna Rose has announced she’ll be releasing her long-awaited upcoming album, The Light Between (produced by Paul Moak), on October 4th, and if “Broken Is Beautiful” is any indicator, it will be well worth the wait.

Rose discussed the inspiration for “Broken Is Beautiful” in a statement, saying, “The most powerful people in the world are the ones who are broken beyond repair, and make the choice to get back up again and continue to fight. This song is for them.”

Fans will be able to see Rose perform “Broken Is Beautiful” live this fall, as she’ll be hitting the road for a bevy of tour dates, including stops at multiple festivals throughout the country.

Of course, you don’t have to wait until she hits your town to hear the song. Just click play, and enjoy!
  

* Over the past year, Brooklyn-based singer-songwriter Leah Voysey has become a mainstay in this column, both for her original work, and her phenomenal covers. Her latest is one of the latter, as she sings a beautiful version of the Noah Cyrus song “July.”

Even if you’re like me, and fall is your favorite season, Voysey’s vocals will have you wanting to keep your calendar on this summer month. Thankfully, with the replay button, it can be “July” as often as we want!


* Every up and coming artist wants to be a break out artist, and NYC, by way of Tel Aviv, singer-songwriter Gon is about to become just that with his latest single, “Breaking Out,” which is off his upcoming full-length debut album, Diagonal Fields, due out October 25th.

Gon’s road to creating this album was a winding one. In a statement he explained, “The short version is that I moved to New York to study opera singing, and somewhere in the middle of it I stopped liking it, so I kind of stopped doing opera and started doing my own music, performing in small venues. Despite being an atheist, I paid my tuition by performing for Jewish community centers and synagogues. At some point, a cantor of a congregation in Florida asked me to perform there, and they gave me a big enough budget to bring the musicians I wanted to have up on stage with me. It was the first time I heard my music played the way I wanted it to be played. Once I heard that rich, deep sound of a rock band, choir, and a string ensemble merge around my music, I got all the confirmation I needed to start working on my album.”

Click play on “Breaking Out” and I think you’ll find he made the right decision.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts