NYC Scene Report – Pageant Girls, Blake Morgan, & Dropper

This week’s NYC Scene Report features Pageant Girls being “First Runner Up,” Blake Morgan going “Down Below or Up Above,” and Dropper telling folks not to worry.

* I was going to attempt to come up with a description of the music of NYC-based foursome Pageant Girls, but I don’t think I could possibly top the one given by vocalist Ivy Jaff – “I like to think of us as the goth Go-Go’s.”

Comprised of Jaff, Megan X Thomas (bass), Alex Rochinski (drums), and Venture Bros. creator Doc Hammer (guitar), Pageant Girls recently released their debut album, appropriately titled 1st.

The latest single off 1st is “First Runner Up,” which is a song about being second best (don’t worry, I promise there won’t be any math!). Jaff discussed the inspiration for the song in a statement, saying, “I like to write about failure because I believe it’s an important part of the human experience. I tend to bounce back from catastrophe effortlessly, and I can thank all my previous failures for that.”

After listening to “First Runner Up” I think you’ll find that “failure” is the last word anyone would use to describe Pageant Girls.

* I recently gave everyone three reasons to make it a point to see NYC-based singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Blake Morgan live (that feature can be found here). If you decide to attend one of his shows, one song you’ll hear him perform is his recently released single “Down Below or Up Above.”

You’d be hard pressed to find more pitch perfect, crystal clear vocals than those of Morgan, who has honed his skills to the highest of levels. “Down Below or Up Above” is yet another example of his exemplary vocal chops, as well as his fine musical craftsmanship.

Click play, and hear why he’s been selling out his residency at Rockwood Music Hall for over three years.

* NYC-based indie rock trio Dropper have a message for folks – “Don’t Worry.”

The message is actually in reference to themselves, as frontwoman Andrea Scanniello sings, “Don’t worry / don’t need your pity cause I do it to myself.”

The song is off Dropper’s debut album, Don’t Talk to Me, which is due out February 11th via the band’s own Dirt Dog label. The entire album was reportedly written by Scanniello while she was working behind the desk at a bowling alley.

Personally, I had no idea bowling alleys could be so inspiring, and I really never knew they could sound this good! Hey, maybe The Dude was onto something!

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts