NYC Scene Report – Vaeda Black, Paola Gladys, & Cold Wrecks w/ Warren Britt

This week’s NYC Scene Report features Vaeda Black giving us a pop gem to “Wake Up” to, Paola Gladys with a “Pure” groove, and Cold Wrecks teaming up with Warren Britt for some high energy “Panicking.”

* I first discovered the music of Vaeda Black two years ago when the young singer took to the stage at Rockwood Music Hall Stage One. Today she’s still too young to actually order anything at the bar, but her songwriting has a maturity the belies her age.

Her most recent release, “Wake Up,” is the kind of song that will make anyone who’s still unaware of her talents wake up to them.

An absolute pop gem, and a true earworm that will get stuck in your head for hours, consider this your “Wake Up” call to keep an ear out for Vaeda Black in 2021, and beyond.

* NYC’s indie music scene is a true melting pot of genres. It’s also a melting pot of the world. Take, for example, singer/producer/visual artist Paola Gladys, who currently calls Brooklyn home, but originally hails from Southern Italy, where she studied jazz, and performed all over the country.

Gladys recently released a single titled “Pure.” It’s a smooth R&B groove that floats along, and creates a gorgeous ambience.

Click play, and get lost in Paola Gladys’ “Pure” vibe. Personally, I can’t wait to hear more from her.

* What do you get when you combine a group that describes themselves as “Dad rock for pop-punkers, pop-punk for emo kids, emo for dads,” with one of the most high-energy hip-hop artists in all of NYC? You get the remix of Cold Wrecks’ “Panicking,” featuring Warren Britt.

Warren gives some background on the collaboration, saying, “I met Cold Wrecks at a show organized by Brook Pridemore back in October 2017. I saw them perform live, and they absolutely captured my heart, and took me back to a moment in time that I never thought I’d touch again. I was instantly converted into a fan. We would perform on various shows over the years, and I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of an email asking if I could pen a few bars for a remix to their song ‘Panicking,’ Of course I said yes.”

Based on this remix of “Panicking,” here’s hoping for more collabs between these two in the future. Heck, lemme just throw this idea into the universe – how about an EP, or an album? That could really be something special. Click play on “Panicking” to hear what I mean.

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts