NYC Scene Report – Valley Latini, Samia, & BS


This week’s NYC Scene Report features Valley Latini shining under a “Blue Moon,” Samia’s post-breakup “Triptych,” and BS wanting to have a little “Fun.”

* Brooklyn-based Colombian artist Valley Latini had always wanted to write a ballad, and with “Blue Moon” she’s created a great one.

Explaining the creative process behind the song (which bears no relation the 1934 song “Blue Moon,” which has been covered by a litany of legends), Latini said, “(‘Blue Moon’) is mainly about being lonely in love. The song started in my loft apartment in Bushwick, Brooklyn. I played the whole thing on my Korg SV1 and recorded the demo in Logic Pro. It started as a demo, and then I took it to producer Harper James, who helped me take my vision to the next level. This is the first track that I feel the most authentic and truest to who I am as an artist out of all of the music that I’ve released in the past. This is definitely my most vulnerable song to date.”

Check out the video, and hear Valley Latini at her most personal.


* Samia is a name familiar to frequent readers of this column, as she’s appeared here a number of times. This week she’s here because she just released her debut album, The Baby, the latest single off of which is “Triptych.”

Breaking down the inspiration for the song, Samia said, “I wrote ‘Triptych’ sobbing in a green room in Denver. I’d just read the story of Francis Bacon and his lover/muse, George Dyer, whose chaotic lifestyle served as Bacon’s artistic inspiration. George Dyer overdosed in the bathroom of a hotel room paid for by Bacon, who famously painted a triptych of his lover’s final moments. I had just been through a pretty tough breakup and felt I might be purposefully getting myself into dicey situations to justify my big feelings and write about them. ‘Triptych’ was a pretty blatant cry for help and an opportunity to confess my fear of being misunderstood.”

Check out the video for “Triptych,” which involves a pretty intense puppet romance.


* During these difficult times I think everyone is looking for a little fun, and Brooklyn-based hip-hop artist BS is right there with us with his latest single, aptly titled “Fun.”

“The only constant in life is change,” BS says of the inspiration behind “Fun,” “but that doesn’t mean others get to decide how you live your life and pursue your passions.”

“Fun” is off BS’s #satanLOL EP, and you can check out the video for the song right here. Click play, and get inspired to let loose.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts