Pop Shots – A Playlist For Going Out In Your 40s


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, with my 41st birthday being tomorrow, I decided to make this week's Pop Shots a special playlist dedicated to going out in your 40s.

As you know, I attend a lot of concerts, but seeing anywhere from 75 to 100 bands in a year while in your 40s is waaaaay different from when you’re in your 20s. How so? This playlist will explain, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.


Winger – Seventeen



I knew that during the final years of Warped Tour I was going to feel like everyone’s dad – partially because a buddy of mine got into the event with a “guardian” pass because he was chaperoning a teenage family member – but over the past year this phenomenon has started happening in music venues that you need to be of legal drinking age to enter.

Multiple times this year I’ve looked around, turned to a buddy, and commented that damned near everyone looked like they should be working on their algebra homework.

In your 40s, everyone under 30 looks like a child, so while someone may actually be 28, as far as I can tell, “she’s only seventeen.”


Ariana Grande – “Problem”



Back in my younger years, having a few drinks, and then having a few more, was easy. I’d feel perfectly fine the next morning, and be able to go on about my day like nothing happened. Now the only thing I’m excessive about is moderation (that actually makes sense. I swear.). After a few drinks I know I could have another, but I’d rather wake up feeling refreshed than feeling like death, so I’ll pass.

When it comes to that extra drink, to quote Ariana Grande, “I got one less problem without ya.”


Mötley Crüe – “Home Sweet Home”



Admission – I have fantasized about my bed while at concerts where one of the bands isn’t especially good, and if the final band I’m there to see isn’t wowing me I have no issue with leaving the show early to catch an extra half hour of sleep.

“I’m on my way / I’m on my way / Home sweet home”


Christina Aguilera – “Come On Over”



Honestly, at this point if I’m going to drink, I’d prefer to do it at home, where the alcohol is cheaper, and I don’t have to worry about driving anywhere. Friends are always welcome to “Come On Over,” however, I’m also fine …


Billy Idol – “Dancing With Myself”



That’s right, I will have a one person dance party, and there won’t be anybody who can judge my moves – or incredible lack there of.

The Dance Dance Revolution will not be televised!


Katy Perry – “Wide Awake”



Ten years ago Semisonic’s “Closing Time” would’ve been on my “Going Out” playlist, because, like Aerosmith, my feeling was “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing.” In my 40s, however, I’m more interested in being “Wide Awake” the next morning, and being an actual functioning human being … or at least my version of one. Hey, work has to get done, bills have to be paid, weights need to be lifted, errands need to be run. I can only do a few of those things half dead.


The Summer Set – “All In”



Of course, there’s an exception to every rule, so even in my 40s, in the right circumstance, and around the right group of friends, there’s a chance I might be going “All In.”

“Now it’s 4AM in the parking lot / We’ll be singing Blink songs ’til the sun comes up / Cause I don’t know if we’ll be here again / Singing, ‘oh, we're going all in.’”


And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts