Pop Shots – Elite Receivers


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from J.Lo receiving a ring, to Missy Elliott and Justin Timberlake receiving honorary degrees, to Britney Spears’ extensive catalogue receiving the musical theatre treatment, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

* Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez have announced they’re engaged. I have a hard time believing it, though, because J.Lo warned us not to be fooled by the rocks that she’s got.

* Bush, Live, and Our Lady Peace are teaming up for a summer tour to celebrate the 25th anniversaries of their respective debut albums. In a related story …


* Former Wham! singer Andrew Ridgeley will be releasing a memoir titled Wham! George & Me on October 3rd. Unfortunately, the audiobook version has hit a snag, as it was done entirely in a careless whisper.

* Missy Elliott, Justin Timberlake, and Alex Lacamoire will receive honorary Doctor of Music degrees at Berklee College of Music’s commencement ceremony on May 11th. After the way I weaved through traffic on I-95 the other day, I’m hoping for an honorary degree from NETTTS.


* Theater owner James L. Nederlander announced he’s producing a jukebox musical titled Once Upon a One More Time, which will feature the songs of Britney Spears in modern day revisions of classic fairy tales about storybook princesses. The show is scheduled for a short run in Chicago in the fall, with the hopes of eventually making the move to Broadway. I guess this means it’s almost time for me to pen my jukebox musical featuring the songs of Kevin Federline – The Phantom of the Popozao.

* 311 and Dirty Heads will be teaming up for a 29-date U.S. tour this summer. I have a feeling I know what will be served at the concession stands.


* Nick Jonas bought Priyanka Chopra a Maybach after the new Jonas Brothers song “Sucker” hit #1. I just wanna know what the gift would’ve been had the song only made it to #7 … a Kia?

* The seventh annual ACM (American Country Music) Party for a Cause will take place April 5th-7th in Las Vegas. I once partied for a cause for three days straight in Las Vegas. OK, fine, the cause was “partying.” I didn’t say it was a good cause.

* Pretty much every time Selena Gomez has a new song out it becomes a gigantic hit that’s ever-present on the radio for the better part of an entire year. Her latest is a bilingual collaboration with Benny Blanco, Tainy, and J Balvin titled “I Can’t Get Enough,” and the video for it features the largest bed I’ve ever seen. I assume the bed is equipped with a giant version of a MyPillow, because the clip doesn’t end with a mustached man creepily showing up and telling them he could help them get a better night’s sleep.


And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts