Vid Pick: Angela Saini – Black Sheep


How can you possibly resist a music video that features an animated black sheep bucking the rules, and creating his own path in life?

That’s the visual for Toronto-based singer-songwriter Angela Saini’s latest single, “Black Sheep.” A modern country/folk pop tune with a ‘90s adult-contemporary pop vibe, the song is meant to inspire people to go their own way.

The animated black sheep was created by Derek Mok, who also directed and edited the video.

Wanting to know more about Saini’s “Black Sheep,” I caught up with her to ask her about her own rebellious ways. She also discussed getting second chances in life, the time her band was hopelessly lost in rural Massachusetts, and her favorite cartoons.

Your video for “Black Sheep” features an adorable rebellious black sheep. When in your life have you found yourself to be a rebellious black sheep?

I was pretty rebellious in high school. I decided to stop trying to fit in with the cool kids and instead started playing in a band. We rehearsed every day after school, and from there I pretty much only hung out with other musicians; we kind of started our own gang.

I started playing in clubs at the age of 16.

To my east-Indian side of the family (my father’s side) I was definitely a badass, especially compared to my brother, who was an accountant.

In what ways have you found it advantageous to be a black sheep?

Not following the crowd makes it easier to decide what your parameters for success are. You set the bar.

No one can be the judge of my life because I play it by my rules. I don’t measure myself by other people’s expectations.


Are there any drawbacks you can think of?

Yes, there is the flip side. Markers for how to measure your success are harder to assign.

It can also feel lonely living an unconventional life compared to many of your friends.

For Halloween you dressed as Jem of Jem and the Holograms. I’m sensing an animation theme in your life. What were some of your other favorite cartoons growing up, and do you have any cartoon related memorabilia?

When I was a kid I distinctly remember watching Inspector Gadget every day after school. I absolutely loved it and wanted to be Penny!

I also have an entire plush doll set of the characters of South Park. When I was a teenager I convinced my parents to buy them when we were visiting the U.S. I was so floored when I found them because the show was new and you couldn’t find them in Canada. My parents were so confused, and hadn’t even heard of the show.

In your bio you note that you’re all about second chances. Have you experienced being blessed with a second chance in some aspect of your life, or career, and can you tell me about it?

In some ways my entire solo career is like a second chance. I played the first 10 years of my music career in a rock band, and then moved with them across the country from Calgary to Toronto, which in itself was a life changer. When I recorded my first solo album it was a scary leap, but I started breathing a new musical life with a whole different focus and sound.

I am certainly grateful to have the chance to dance to the beat of my own drum, musically and career-wise.


You’ve toured throughout Canada, and internationally. What’s the most lost, or out your element, you’ve ever been on the road?

The craziest drive I ever had was with my first band, driving to our drummer’s aunt’s house in rural Massachusetts. We were running out of gas, close to midnight, and realized we were lost when we passed the “Welcome to Vermont” sign … TWICE. Then it started raining.

We were right about to find a house with the lights on to knock on the door when we drove past a gas station. It turned out we were driving in circles around the house in the mountains for hours because one traffic sign had been turned to face another direction.

That’s both awful and hilarious! Now, let’s see if we can make some dreams come true here. Which artist, or artists, would you absolutely love to tour and/or collaborate with, and why?

I would love to sit in a room with Dolly Parton and see what we come up with. Her story telling capabilities, and catchy melodies, would drum up something magical, and probably sassy!

I think I would die if Stevie Nicks came and sang on stage with me.

Finally, “Black Sheep” is off your upcoming album Hope on the Stereo. What can you tell us about the album, which is set for release in early 2019?

This album sounds exactly like “me.”

For the first time I had a role in the production process, and it turned out exactly how I heard it in my head. I also enlisted my live band to record live-off-the-floor, and it really is an organic capture.

Lyrically there is some yin and yang to it. I am certainly known for my positivity, but how would you know you were in the light if you have never experienced darkness? There are some themes of uncertainty, confusion, and fear that I have never explored before, and with that there is some radical honesty that people will be able to relate to.


For more Angela Saini, check out angelasaini.com, and follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts