NYC Scene Report – Shining Mirrors, Fiona Silver, & more


This week’s NYC Scene Report features the retro rock of Shining Mirrors, the powerful vocals of Fiona Silver, indie pop from Ryan Egan, and something way out there from undefinable rockers The New Tarot.

* When I first heard Brooklyn trio Shining Mirrors’ new single, “Cardiac,” I immediately fell in love with how it sounded like old school rock n roll, yet didn’t feel old, or dated.

If you’re like me, and have both oldies stations, and current Top 40 stations, in your car stereo’s pre-sets, “Cardiac” is like a perfect combination of both.

The song is off of Shining Mirrors’ upcoming self-titled EP, due out November 3rd. The entirety of the album was recorded in the band’s loft, and it’s unlikely the neighbors had any complaints, as not only is the music great, the band’s frontman, Drew Robinson, notes, “I’m the building manager. That’s my day job.”

Check out the video for “Cardiac,” and feel free to crank it up loud enough for your own neighbors to hear.


* As frequent readers of this column may have noticed, I’ve been a little obsessed with the music of Fiona Silver since first hearing her debut album, Little Thunder, earlier this year. It’s an album that will undoubtedly receive much consideration when putting together my year end top ten list.

Silver’s vocals are ridiculously kick ass, and, musically, she has an attitude to match. In my opinion, that’s a “what’s not to love?” situation.

Her latest single is “Smoking Gun,” which is the final track on Little Thunder. Click play on the video, and hear why I can’t stop listening to Fiona Silver.


* When a friend sent me NYC indie pop artist Ryan Egan’s single, “Tongue of Yours,” my initial reaction was, “This is an artist I definitely have to find out more about.” After searching the internet, however, all I can tell you is … Ryan Egan is an indie pop artist from NYC with a single named “Tongue of Yours.”

Even though I clearly failed in my quest to know more, something tells me we’ll likely get the full Ryan Egan story in the coming months, because if his other work is anything like “Tongue of Yours” he’ll be sticking around for a while.


* NYC-based sister-fronted band The New Tarot are a … well, they’re best described as … their genre is …

The New Tarot are an experience.

During their October residency at The Bowery Electric their sets included practically every genre ever created, yet there was still a common thread running through the music that made everything perfectly cohesive, and each song definitively a New Tarot song. In a world full of copycats, The New Tarot stand as wholly original.

The band is currently gearing up to release a full length album that I, personally, can't wait to hear. While we anticipate that, enjoy one of their older cuts, “Stella,” and be on the lookout for a Stacking The Deck interview with The New Tarot in the coming weeks.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts