Vid Pick: Big Lo – Firecracker Popsicle


Admission: after listening to hip-hop for roughly 30 of my 39 years on this planet, it now takes a heck of a lot for a rap song, or video, to make me stop what I’m doing, and pay attention. Big Lo has done just that with “Firecracker Popsicle.”

Big Lo is an emcee hailing from Florida, and “Firecracker Popsicle,” with its avant-garde beat, deliberate flow, and visually gripping video, is the kind of song/video that will make even the crustiest old head admit that there’s still new ground being broken in the genre.

I caught up with Big Lo to ask him about the video, and the lyrical content of “Firecracker Popsicle,” as well as his thoughts on actual popsicles … because, JOURNALISM!

Let’s talk about the video for “Firecracker Popsicle,” because there’s A LOT going on here – from the gas masks and heavy artillery, to the girls decked out in USA gear who enjoy themselves quite a bit at the end of the clip. What was your initial concept for the video, and what points were you hoping to get across?

You're right, there's a lot going on.

Essentially, the visual is portraying your stereotypical American white girls enjoying life while the entire world is crumbling around them. It's like the meme with the guy sitting at the the table and everything is on fire around him and he's just fine.

Basically, ignorance is bliss. 

How do you feel the video represents the lyrics, and, even more so, your personal outlook on the topics in those lyrics?

A lot of my stuff, even in this particular record, is ironic, over the top opulence. It's socially aware, but not preachy.

In the second verse I say, "Peep the timing, such a fiery climate, diamonds are forged in the harshest environments." Basically, what I'm getting at is that the trials and cruelty of this world is what molds us into something strong. 

Tell everyone about the project “Firecracker Popsicle” is off of, and how representative the single is of the rest of the album.

“Firecracker Popsicle” is a record off my latest EP, Wunderland Apokalypse. Wunderland Apokalypse is basically a Dadaist look at where we're at now. It's like we're on the cusp of the end times, but not in the Biblical sense. It's more like Shiva – through destruction is a beautiful renewal. 

I realize this video came out earlier this year, but being that we live in a constant wake of gun tragedies, did you have any qualms about using guns in the video, or was it intentional, to make people think about the society we live in?

First let me say that my heart goes out to all of the families affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas, as well as every other mass shooting.

My use of guns in the visual was merely to demonstrate America's obsession with guns. With the exception of the Russell Westbrook "shooters" line, guns aren't really glorified on the record.

Personally, I don't know where I stand on gun control. It seems ridiculous that people have stockpiles, but aren't really overthrowing any tyrannical governments.

I also think that mental health needs to be seriously addressed, and not just when something awful happens.

Finally, I believe the biggest threat to our safety are males who identify as Christian. The vast majority of these tragic events that take place in America have that one common theme.

Who's the real terrorist? I'll tell you this, I'm not worried about Syrian refugees.

Finally, can we just go on record saying, whether used erotically, or not, popsicles are f*cking awesome?

I'm 100% pro popsicle, both for nutrition, and erotic props. 

For more Big Lo, check out biglohiphop.com.

Comments

Popular Posts