3 Reasons You Should See GWAR Live


As soon as I heard GWAR was one of the headliners for this year’s Warped Tour, I was in. I don’t mean I was kinda in, I mean I was 100% wholly, and truly, IN!

I’d wanted to see GWAR for quite some time. Yes, I realize the band isn’t comprised of the same artists/characters as it used to be, but they’re still GWAR, dammit, and they still kick ass.

I find it hard to believe anyone who knows of GWAR isn’t aware of what they’re in for when they go to one of their concerts, but just in case, here are three reasons you should see GWAR live (other than “because they’re f*cking GWAR!”).

1. They’re a Damned Good Time

GWAR are not here to lecture you. The are not here to explain their art to you. They’re here to help you have a good time, and their blood soaked, intergalactic barbarian, heavy metal theatre is a one of a kind production that is well worth seeing in person.

If you’ve ever contemplated seeing them, or have even the tiniest inclination to, you should do it.

2. You WILL Get Sprayed With Fake Blood

GWAR likes to cover the AC/DC song “If You Want Blood (You Got It)” for the sole purpose of spraying the crowd with copious amounts of fake blood. This also happens when various characters, some strange, some political, get body parts chopped off (they’ve decapitated, or disemboweled, notable names from both political parties).

Be ready for it early, and often, as the very first thing that happens at a GWAR show involves the spraying of blood.

There’s one area where you can stand where you won’t get hit with any of it – the parking lot outside of the arena.

My only fear during all of this was that I was going to get pulled over on the way home and have to try to explain to a cop why I looked like I just murdered someone. An officer buddy of mine later told me, “Just saying GWAR should be enough.”

3. The Soundtrack to it All is Actually Pretty Good

You may wonder if a group so theatrical might be using those theatrics to cover up some musical shortcomings. GWAR, however, is all about putting on a great show, and that includes rocking out.

At the core of it all, they’re a really good metal band, and their theatrics wouldn’t work nearly as well if that wasn't the case.


To find out when, and where, GWAR are performing next, check out their website for show dates.

Comments

Popular Posts