NYC Scene Report – AJR, Alexis Babini, & more


This week's NYC Scene Report features AJR playfully singing about where they rank on the paparazzi's radar, singer-songwriter Alexis Babini getting "Stoned," emcees J. Manifesto and ScienZe making you "Move," and a kick ass posse cut featuring hip-hop heavyweights P.SO, Homeboy Sandman, K. Gaines, and 2 Hungry Bros.

* You might remember AJR from when they struck pop gold with their SpongeBob SquarePants sampling hit "I'm Ready." The song was absolutely everywhere. You may, however, not necessarily recognize the Met brothers, Adam, Jake, and Ryan, if you saw them walking down the street, and that's the concept behind their latest single, "I'm Not Famous."

The playful pop tune asks, "Where my haters / Where my haters / I don't got ‘em / I'm not famous," and in the video, the group's frontman, Jack, looks to hammer this point home by dancing in the streets of NYC, clad in pajamas, sneakers, and a winer hat, to the reaction of no one. He even hops on the subway with his sampler.

Speaking of the Met brothers' NYC adventures, I spoke with Adam Met last year, and he told me about the group nearly getting arrested in Washington Square Park. If you missed that feature, you can check it out here, but first, watch the dance filled video for "I'm Not Famous."


* Keeping with the theme of wandering around NYC, the video for singer-songwriter Alexis Babini's latest, "Let's Get Stoned," features all sorts of NYC scenery as he roams the streets, and what looks to be the High Line.

Babini is readying the release of a new EP later this year, and he says of his music, "The mission is to leave you moved and inspired.”

Recently, Babini moved into the television world, appearing as a banjo player on an episode of the TV Land series Younger. I wonder if he managed to score Hilary Duff's phone number while he was there.

While I do some investigative journalism, and find the answer to that, "Let's Get Stoned." (Don't worry about the green screen, that's just how it starts)


* O.I.S.D. emcee J. ManifestO has been involved in NYC's highly competitive hip-hop scene for over half a dozen years, and he's currently readying his latest solo effort, an EP titled Live From The Infinite. The first single off of the EP is "Move," which was produced by Mighty Joe Young, and features fellow emcee ScienZe. J. ManifestO describes the song, saying it's about "low key getting curved by shorties whilst on the hunt with your homies."

Getting rejected by women while on the prowl? Let's just call this the most relatable song that’s been released in quite some time... and no, you may not ask about my love life! I'm just gonna put this one on repeat.


* I'm going back to back with hip-hop tracks this week, because when there's an epic collaboration that's absolute fire, how can I not feature it?

That was my feeling as soon as I heard the P.SO, Homeboy Sandman, K. Gaines, 2 Hungry Bros. collaboration "Open Palm Strike." Not only does it hit as hard as an open palm strike from a martial arts master, there are some crazy mariachi styles horns thrown in that I absolutely love.

Click play, and let this one smack ya in the face... musically speaking, of course.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts