Vinnie Scullo – Eight Is Not Enough


When you think of emcees who are eight or more albums deep into their careers names like Jay-Z and LL Cool J usually come to mind. Vinnie Scullo should, too. The Ohio native released his eighth album, I Spit On Your Grave, earlier this year and he’s already laid down the beats for his ninth project. Even with that tremendous effort, according to Vinnie less than half of his body of work can earn him any money at this point. “The only ones I can sell are Def Leper, Pimpin Miss America, I Spit On Your Grave, and this new one I’m working on,” he explains, “my mixtapes were albums, it’s just I didn’t have any money to pay Green Day to use their sample.” Over the years Vinnie’s feuded with some interesting folks, including having a very real beef with Ashton Kutcher during a stint as a Hollywood extra. With I Spit On Your Grave, however, he’s feuding with something completely different – political ideologies and the anger they create in people. This week I caught up with Vinnie to find out more about ISOYG, as well as the very strange online cartoon series he created called Death Omelet, and why when it comes to making albums, eight is not enough. Here are some of the highlights from the interview:

On the inspiration for the lyrics on ISOYG:
I was pissed because all the political talk, left and right and all that stuff, it was just making me so mad and making me hate the world.

On the content of the album:
It’s not a safe album because I say a lot of stuff that people could totally take the wrong way, or hate, OR have it be one of those things where people go “yeah, he’s right,” and they’re people I hate.

On why he keeps on creating:
If you could see what your inner thoughts really are, that would be amazing. That’s what I do. That’s why I can’t stop creating, either art or music, because I just learn about myself. I think I’m really weird, so I like to see what I come up with.

Read the full interview at RapReviews.com.

Comments

Popular Posts