Wax Tailor – Producing Life’s Many Moods


French hip-hop/trip-hop/downtempo producer Wax Tailor has been on a steady ascent since his days releasing work as a part of the group La Formule. He started using the Wax Tailor moniker in 2001 and last month he released his third full length album, In The Mood For Life. This week I caught up with Wax Tailor to find out more about the project, how his everyday life at the time of its writing and recording played a major role in it, why he uses guest appearances sparingly, and what excites him musically in 2009. Here are some of the highlights from the interview:

On listening to In The Mood For Life:
When I listen to this album I think, maybe because I know it from behind, about the energy I had and the feeling I had, because the cycle of In The Mood For Life is not a very happy thing, it’s more being able to struggle every morning about life.

On how he works with other artists:
I try to work with people with a specific idea. I never send five or six tracks to an artist saying just choose one track, I just send a track saying I got a specific idea that fits this song and I want you to sing, here’s the mood, etc., and in the end it’s just a yes or no, that’s all.

On what excites him about music today:
I like the idea of past and future at the same time. In ‘94 I bought some equipment, like an Ensoniq Sampler. Fifteen years after I’m still using this stuff, but I definitely don’t work the way I was doing it fifteen years ago because I also have some tools from 2009 and I like the idea of mixing those elements.

Read the full interview at RapReviews.com.

Comments

Popular Posts