About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)

w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)

w/ Millionaires ('12)

w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)

w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Artist Of The Week – Omar Wilson
Monday, September 24, 2007

Omar Wilson has a very unique goal for his music, he wants to remind people that there’s a “B” in R&B. By embracing the blues aspect of rhythm and blues Wilson, a three time winner at the Apollo Theater’s Amateur Night, is hoping to set himself apart from his peers in the crowded musical genre. Although this may sound like a difficult task to some Wilson has the right lineage to get it accomplished. Having a father that emceed at nightclubs in the 70’s and was in a band called The Soul Messengers Wilson became enamored with music very early on in life and started singing in church at an age when most kids were just graduating from watching Sesame Street. His talent was seen instantly and he was leading songs by the time he was seven years old. Now nearly 20 years later Wilson is readying the release of his debut album, Product of My Environment, and this week I caught up with the Norwalk, CT, native to talk about his work, his musical influences, and what LL Cool J and Aaron Neville told him that changed his life.

Adam Bernard: With so many R&B artists crooning about love, what makes Omar Wilson different?
Omar Wilson: Well, first off, I'm a soul singer. The thing that gives me my own lane is I sing about life and what all of us go through. I sing about the good, the bad and the ugly of life. My voice is deep, raspy and strong. Most singers nowadays use the high register for their singing style. I sing with pain and conviction and no one out there right now is doing what I do.

Adam Bernard: With you being a bit different from today’s soul acts do you feel you have any influences that some might consider non-traditional for an R&B singer?
Omar Wilson: Yes. I started my career as a rap artist. I was in a group called The Lost Souls and I was a very aggressive MC always ready to battle. My time as an MC is what’s made my writing style, stage presence and overall vibe different from every other singer. Rap also taught me how to outline an idea of a song.

Adam Bernard: Back when you were rapping you probably had a few more avenues to get your work out, but for R&B signers there seems to be fewer ways to get heard. How are you going about getting your music out there?
Omar Wilson: I perform regularly. I keep myself in front of the masses on a weekly basis. As the old saying goes; out of sight, out of mind. If the people don't see you how will they know you are there? I use MySpace and other sites to network on the web. I email blast everyone to check me out and use traditional methods such as posters, fliers, stickers and t-shirts, as well. I use all types of promotional material to get my name and music out there.

Adam Bernard: You've opened for quite a few legends, including Usher, Outkast, The Neville Brothers and Yolanda Adams. Have you had the opportunity to speak with any of these artists, and if so what kind of information and advice have you gleaned from them?
Omar Wilson: There are two moments so far that have had a really big impact on me. The first was when LL Cool J told me that "hard work and dedication equals success. Expect it." The other was when Aaron Neville told me I had a great voice and to keep singing from my soul.

Adam Bernard: Knowing the impact those artists have made, what kind of impact are you hoping to make both with your work and outside of music?
Omar Wilson: I'm on this planet to inspire, to relate, to help, and to give a voice all those who don't have one. I want to be a legend. I want to live forever, and the only way that can happen is by creating music that stands the test of time. I'm also a warrior for the light, though, so in the end, I really just want to make God proud.

Related Links

Website: owilson.com
MySpace: myspace.com/omarrwilson


posted by Adam Bernard @ 7:47 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them

Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout

What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of


Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts