Strange Forms of Sanity

Monday was a holiday for some, mostly students, but for me it was a day to help a friend move. I had my usual 75-90 minute work out at the gym in the morning then drove over to my friend’s new place to help him get all his stuff up to his new third floor walk up. I know a lot of people will call me crazy for what I’m about to say, but it was great. Nothing gets your mind off of your troubles better than lugging a six and a half foot sofa up two flights of stairs. Unfortunately at least one piece of furniture didn’t make it, a queen size box spring, which couldn’t quite make it up the ever narrowing staircase. The loud crack we heard when we tried to force it just a little too much was a good indicator that it just wasn’t going to get up there.

The best part of the move was finding out that my boy and his girlfriend will now be living significantly closer to me. I’m looking forward to showing them the various back roads I know. Hey, at least some of my knowledge isn’t completely useless.

Back roads won’t be needed on Saturday, however, because we’ll be heading back to school for Hofstra Homecoming, which coincidentally falls on my birthday! Oh yeah, it’s double the fun (as long as the weather gets better). I can’t think of a better way to spend my birthday than by revisiting my old stomping grounds and getting a healthy reminder of how far I’ve come in the past five years. It should be good for the soul, and if Empire is still open it should be good for my wallet, as well, because I’ve got a ton of CD’s to sell back. My wall rack that holds 1,000 is damn near full, so it’s time to get rid of some of the wack ones. I also have quite a few doubles that I’m looking forward to selling back because they’re recent and should net me a couple bucks each. My hope is to get enough to buy myself a new Hofstra sweatshirt or two. Look at me, buying myself my own birthday present, lol!

From what I’ve written you’d never guess it, but for the past week it’s been and effort to keep my spirits up. I’ve been fighting depression a lot recently. With people close to me being sick and dying, some negative love life issues going on, and a weather forecast that’s been 100% dark and rainy, it’s been hard to get motivated to do much of anything. This is why helping friends move and going to Homecoming are such positive forces, they let me stop thinking about all the negativity and just be. There’s only so long you can do things for everyone else, eventually you have to find some time to focus on yourself. Some may misconstrue this as an act of selfishness, but it’s really not, it’s really just a way to try to stay sane, and sanity sure as hell isn’t sold in bulk, so when you get the chance to have some, take it!

Comments

Popular Posts