The Canada Experience: Oh Canada

Over the next three days I'll be posting up the goings on of my four day trip to Canada. Here's part one, enjoy!

June 3rd: At 8:00AM I started my 550+ mile journey to Barrie, Ontario. A handful of CD's later I was at Niagara Falls. By the time I arrived at the falls it had become a beautiful day and I was lovin it. The falls were nice, not quite as spectacular as I had expected, but impressive none the less. I didn't get to spend a lot of time there as I wanted to get back on the road as soon as possible. The customs person going into Canada was great. She was really laid back, simply asked where I was going, what for, for how long and if I had any alcohol or tobacco in the car then let me go. At this point I decided to try to find a local Hip-Hop radio station. I fliped around for a bit and when I find one what's the first thing that I hear? An Angie Martinez song. Yes, I'd traveled over 500 miles and she was still on the radio! Insanity. The rush hour traffic was ridiculous in Toronto. Big ups to the guy at the VW dealership that let me use his bathroom, I really thought I was gonna die in that traffic. As soon as I got to the hotel I was drawn to an extremely attractive woman behind the front desk. OK, so I HAD to go to the front desk to check in, but still, had I not had to hit the front desk I still would have because she was there. I got my room and took a short walk to get some dinner.

Overall I have to say the long drive by myself was important to me. All I did was play CD's and ignore time. For the first time in a long time my mind was clear and it felt good. Oh yeah, one last thing about this day. I got a cup of tea at a place called Tim Hortons after being told it was THE coffee shop in Canada. I commented, "so it's kinda like Starbucks is in America?" The response I got was classic, "is Starbucks popular in America?" WOW, talk about being a stranger in a strange land.

Something to think about: I have an E-Z Pass but forgot to put it up on my windshield for the trip in. I went through the E-Z Pass lanes anyways and the scanner still read it..... while the tag was in my glove box!!! How strong is that laser reader and what else is it telling the E-Z Pass people about us!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts