It is BUTT COLD outside today. I went outside this morning wearing multiple layers but still nearly froze on the way to the car. I feel for The Pats and the Titans who have an 8:30PM start time for their game. I feel even more for the fans who are going to brave the cold and sit outside till damn near midnight to watch the game. Maybe I'll turn the heat up at the krib and put on some shorts tonight, just for the hell of it. ;o)

Onto some sobering news. Yesterday I read an article that didn't exactly bring up my spirits:

"WASHINGTON - The nation's unemployment rate dropped to 5.7 percent in December to the lowest level in 14 months, but employers finished the year without many help wanted signs for the holidays, adding just 1,000 new jobs.

The 0.2 percentage point drop in the jobless rate occurred because fewer people were looking for work, the Labor Department said Friday. More than 300,000 people gave up their search for jobs and dropped out of the pool of available workers. "

OK, so for people like me and my friends finding work is not just hard, but it's so hard that hundreds of thousands of people are just giving up. I refuse to give up hope, though. At least with numbers like that I know I'm not alone in my search for steady work. Basically, if you were born after 1976 you're pretty screwed in the job market. That's something I have to live with, and is something I must overcome.

On a much happier note, my article on the "It's Just Comedy Cafe" will be the lead story in the entertainment section of the New Haven Register on Friday, January 16th. If you're in the area, pick it up! And on a similar subject (still writing, just fiction rather than journalism) I'm 15 pages into my first short story of the year and I'm VERY pleased with how it's turning out so far. I have one section left to go, so the story should end up around 20 pages.

That's all for now. Not every post can explore the depths of my psyche. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts